Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SBC King Saud University

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: SBC King Saud University Reply with quote

Anyone coming over or already here in Riyadh? Would be great to hear from you, your experiences...

ksu teachers, anything we need to know coming into the new academic year?
I-forgot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Management restructuring, many experienced teachers have left, insufficient teacher numbers. You WILL be working unpaid overtime.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavily micro managed system geared towards paper pushers not English acquisition. There will be two formal lesson observations a year that they need to see to check their boxes to hand in to their supervisors. The rest of the year doesn't even come close to the lesson plans you did for these observations. CELTA lesson plans are preferred but after it's over you can throw them out the window because these students need more specific lesson planning geared towards their learning styles (which is close to nothing).

end of transmission

Grendal
Al-Ikwan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: SBC King Saud University Reply with quote

ldn wrote:
Anyone coming over or already here in Riyadh? Would be great to hear from you, your experiences...

ksu teachers, anything we need to know coming into the new academic year?

As already mentioned, yes they are seriously understaffed. SBC are the new recruitment company who have come in and straight away reduced pay packages dramatically by almost 4k SAR which is why they are understaffed.

This company is now bringing teachers over on Business visas, which means you can't bring family over and you do not have any employee rights.

Also be warned, once in Saudi the KSU management may interview you and if them deem your qualifications not meeting requirements or you fail the interview they will send you back to home country.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good example of why it's great Saudi Arabia is going down the tubes. Like I said before the more and more decrepit Saudi Arabia becomes, the haughtier and more immoral they become. No willingness to admit to anything to themselves. It's all due to some defect in teachers that they have to identify and remove.
ldn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have over 3 years experience and a related degree I urge you to negotiate! A related masters even more so! I found it successful and closer to the older packages.

A lot of people blindly accept. Always ask for more (reasonably), you never know!
fhq

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldn wrote:
if you have over 3 years experience and a related degree I urge you to negotiate! A related masters even more so! I found it successful and closer to the older packages.

A lot of people blindly accept. Always ask for more (reasonably), you never know!

You found it successful with SBC?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that King Saud University was a somewhat no-nonsense university, at least more than most. It's starting to look like nice salaries in Saudi Arabia are a crap shoot. It's better to go somewhere else to get screwed around. There are some countries where they won't just summarily fire you.
I-forgot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been told that KSU is short 150 English teachers.

SBC is too slow to bring people on board and it does not look good for their contract next year.

EdEx filled its (reduced) numbers on the men's side and are now trying to charge teachers to transfer their iqamas to SBC. They are illegally trying to charge half of their end of service benefits.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they could have used some of the teachers they fired after all. Is there no ability to plan in Saudi Arabia? Of course everybody knows there isn't. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: