Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colleges of Excellence minimum qualifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desert Dueller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Colleges of Excellence minimum qualifications Reply with quote

It is my understanding that the minimum qualifications for employment as an ELT at the diverse range of KSA colleges under the Colleges of Excellence (CoE) banner are an MA (preferably ELT-related), plus recognised CELTA/TEFL/TESOL, plus 2-5 years of relevant teaching experience. These minimum requirements are laid down by CoE and form an integral part of management agreements between CoE and contracted providers.

I have noted that some providers and recruiters seem to advertise jobs and proceed to sign up ELTs who do not meet these requirements, especially when it comes to post-grad qualifications.

My brother has an offer of employment with an established CoE college in Riyadh which has recently been taken over by a UK provider. He is unsure if to accept, bearing in mind the possibility of problems further down the track, for example CoE checking on providers, with the result of being terminated early.

I work for a tertiary institution where similar minimum requirements are strictly enforced.

Can anyone offer further info and advice on this? Much appreciated. Thnx.
americanjoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Quals:
High school Teacher's Certificate with and endorsement for "Secondary English" in the American states of Alaska, Hawaii and Utah plus 5 years now teaching at the university level.
I consider myself minimally qualified and barely competent.

But for some reason I get bombarded with job offers, like weekly 2-3 depending on the time of year because I'm signed up on Serious Teachers.

To my mind, people who talk about how highly qualified they are and are continually chasing a new certification are sort of silly and pretentious.

Relax.

Working in the ME is the Big Suck.

If you want a job you'll get one because no one really wants to work here.
Amerrycan Muslim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In practice, COE requires a BA and a CELTA level qualification...
bigdurian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amerrycan Muslim wrote:
In practice, COE requires a BA and a CELTA level qualification...

In practice, teaching in Saudi requires a pulse.

FTFY.....
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to add that as each CoE has a different administration from a different country (from Spain to New Zealand). They tend to prefer a particular nationality accordingly, some go for EU citizens, some go for Americans, some others don't really care as long as you are a "native".
Lord T

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTFY.....[/quote]

I'm not sure that you do need a pulse: look at the photographs of PYP English teachers at kfupm (website) and you will see that at least a third of them appear to be dead.

Another third are clearly old enough to have been at school at the same time as God was there, and presumably won't have a pulse for much longer.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience at KFUPM was that the aged teachers could actually teach. Not so sure about the young dudes with ponytails.
Linguist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time in Saudi where cadavers were recruited to teach at the PYP. There was no pulse at all. I checked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: