Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chancery School/ English Excel and similar schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amisexy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Chancery School/ English Excel and similar schools Reply with quote

Hi,

I�m looking for work at schools across Hong Kong.
I have a bachelors degree in English and a CELTA certificate from an International House school in Europe.

I have applied to the above schools (Chancery and Excel) and was wondering what people though about them? (I don't have a PGCE or QTS so PNET and SNET are out)

What do people think about the salary and accommodations these schools give. Is say, $16000HK and accommodation enough to live on, for a normal life? As a young single guy, I would want to go out for fun at least once per week. (I've noticed that the minimum wage below $4000, so I�m guessing so, but good to hear others opinions)
Also, is a visa easy to get, and what is the procedure to get one for a UK citizen?

Thanks Smile
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you read through all the other threads that start exactly the same as yours...."I am looking for work in Hong Kong..."

There are lots there.

Sorry to be blunt....but I can't remember how many times this topic has been covered in the last, erm, few months.
amisexy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise that there are lots of threads on the matter thanks.

The main two things I wanted to know were: Specific information on these two schools and information on visas.

Smile
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amisexy wrote:
I realise that there are lots of threads on the matter thanks.

The main two things I wanted to know were: Specific information on these two schools and information on visas.

Smile

Then in response to your questions, in order.

No idea.

Yes. Go through the same paperwork as everyone else. We are not exempt.
oxi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re>wanting specific information on these two schools and information on visas.

Chancery and Excel
1. What do people think about the salary and accommodations these schools give.
Average/ok for beginner jobs
2. is a visa easy to get, and what is the procedure to get one for a UK citizen?
Easy - employer should advise

3. Is say, $16000HK and accommodation enough to live on, for a normal life? As a young single guy, I would want to go out for fun at least once per week.

Joshua's answer stands - for details, have a browse through previous topics. I've given my own opinion on this loads of times - in short, doable, not much fun.

4. I've noticed that the minimum wage below $4000, so I�m guessing so, but good to hear others opinions.

Now I'd say that's a fair point to bring up. Folks might get the wrong idea if they see $4000 as ok. I think that figure may come after factoring in 'lowest of the low' paid jobs like maid/domestic helper. They're paid a pittance. Most young locals get paid over, say 7 or 8K, and have to live with parents for years with no rent and minimal food bills. On the other hand, some give all their salary to their parents
oxi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check for some thoughts on expenses:-

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=92881&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: