Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed on QU package offered
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coco chanel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Advice needed on QU package offered Reply with quote

I wonder if those familiar with QU Foundation Programme could give me some advice on the package being offered to new hires for Fall 2011. I've read through several of the QU-related posts on the Forum and was amazed to find out that the salary I have just been offered is the same as the one offered in 2008 (see posts by VS and Noor).

Also, the entitlements in the offer are very vague. The offer doesn't specifically state how many days holiday in total - just annual paid summer vacation as governed by university policies. Likewise re accommodation - as governed by university policies. It doesn't specify if a housing allowance is available for faculty who wish to opt out of the university furnished accommodation. Also, the number of teaching/working hours was not mentioned and the probationary period is apparently one year, even though 6 months was specified at the interview. No mention of performance-related salary increments or bonuses either.

I read somewhere else on the Forum that last year's salaries were higher, but I don't know if that included the transportation allowance. As far as I can work out Doha is not a cheap place to live and the cost of living there is higher than the UAE, so it seems surprising that the salary being offered to new faculty is so low. Doesn't experience count for anything? Surprised Or is all of the above part of the territory?

If anyone wants to PM me in utmost confidence, it would be most appreciated.

Cheers

C C

Last edited by coco chanel on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QU has always had a rather flat salary scale. A few years ago, everyone who started got the same salary - no matter their experience... with everyone required to have an MA. Then there were a couple years where there weren't very many applicants and the next year, there was a three step scale depending on credentials. (assuming that your MA is in ApLing/ESL/EFL... you would have come in at the top) Salaries have never been negotiable. People here have the tendency to quote the salary plus small allowances (utilities, transport) as a total number.

I don't think I've heard of many (any?) places that give performance based raises... and never heard of bonuses. Unless you mean the gratuity paid on completion of the contract. That seems to be law in every Gulf country

Right now the employers in the Gulf are drowning in a sea of applicants. Thus... it appears that QU has taken the chance to lower or flatten the salaries. Supply and demand... Crying or Very sad

As to the specifics of the benefits package, QU itself is probably the one to ask. Who knows what has changed there. In the past, all the teachers were housed in the university inventory... which has a limited number on campus and the rest in a complex or two some distance away... thus requiring the car.

VS
coco chanel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS.

Yes, I certainly need some clarification from QU. And, as you say, employers are probably getting a lot of applications from highly-qualified teachers with varying levels of experience. However, I didn't think Qatar would be at the top of the list. Confused

Looks like it is an employers' market. On another note, do you know much about working for the Qatar Foundation?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the various American university jobs? They are VERY hard to get. You literally never see them advertise and I hear that they bring most of their teachers/professors from their home branches.

But I'd definitely apply if you run into any possibilities...

VS
FunGus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she's referring to the Academic Bridge program run through Qatar Foundation.

QF supposedly pays more than QU, but I haven't seen a single teaching job advertised there in the past year.
thursday12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries not on par wid cost 'o livin rise. Ya need ta ask fer overtime.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thursday12 wrote:
Salaries not on par wid cost 'o livin rise.

That is another of those statements that is true of every educational institution in the Gulf these days. (not to mention the US and probably Europe)

VS
idaho_potato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To survive you need a salary of 14,000 minimum for a single person. I don't know what they pay but Qatar is very expensive to live in. A Friday brunch can cost 300 riyals or more with beverages.
the lowlander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Cost of Living Reply with quote

Without a doubt, Qatar is the most expensive country in the Gulf.

Ask the Qataris themselves.

Supermarket food is expensive, housing is expensive, half decent restaurants are expensive, cars are expensive, and if you like a drink, alcohol is very expensive.

In addition, regardless of the cost of living, once you have accepted a job in Qatar, you cannot leave the country without an exit visa from your employer, even for a short holiday.

This effectively renders you a potential prisoner of your employer, should you have any issues with them, and is not related to clearing your debts, unlike other GCC countries.

Qatar is one to give a miss!
idaho_potato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of Living Reply with quote

the lowlander wrote:
Without a doubt, Qatar is the most expensive country in the Gulf.

Ask the Qataris themselves.

Supermarket food is expensive, housing is expensive, half decent restaurants are expensive, cars are expensive, and if you like a drink, alcohol is very expensive.

In addition, regardless of the cost of living, once you have accepted a job in Qatar, you cannot leave the country without an exit visa from your employer, even for a short holiday.

This effectively renders you a potential prisoner of your employer, should you have any issues with them, and is not related to clearing your debts, unlike other GCC countries.

Qatar is one to give a miss!

Most things are true but you can get a multiple exit permit if your employer agrees or if you want to pay 500 QR. Lang Sols didn't do this for the teachers. QP senior staff get the multiple exit permit, while only some junior staff do. It depends.

With regard to the QU package - if the new base salary is 17,000 as was quoted by several applicants who interviewed at TESOL Arabia, then it's a good offer. The question is whether they will give the teachers who work there now the 25% base salary raise to put them on par. If not, there will be problems. It happened at the Gulag and at SQU and this did not make for a very collegial workplace.
blastermill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good package for QU newbies = 17,000 but bound to cause friction with teachers who are on a lower starting pay scale. I've heard old staff started at 12,500 or 13,500. Definitely not decent. And not fair to the current QU teachers. Also heard that teachers will be forced to be available for 35 hours a week for students - teaching and tutoring - so when do they get time to prep or mark papers??? Definitely not a good scenario for teachers. Most teachers already work 60 hours a week because of marking and prep. This is a really disgusting decision.

Last edited by blastermill on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
the lowlander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing about QP is "decent" .....far from it....and whilst the money may seem nice...

And maybe you think your job is secure today.......

They will chop you, and have you on the first plane out when it suits them.

QP are a full-blown nightmare, and they always have been.....

Check the back history.....

They are truly, truly to be avoided at all costs
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lowlander wrote:
Nothing about QP is "decent" .....far from it....and whilst the money may seem nice...

And maybe you think your job is secure today.......

They will chop you, and have you on the first plane out when it suits them.

QP are a full-blown nightmare, and they always have been.....

Check the back history.....

They are truly, truly to be avoided at all costs

Are you posting on the wrong thread? This is about QU and you are talking about QP...

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blastermill wrote:
Also heard that teachers will be forced to be available for 35 hours a week for students - teaching and tutoring - so when do they get time to prep or mark papers??? Definitely not a good scenario for teachers. Most teachers already work 60 hours a week because of marking and prep. This is a really disgusting decision.

But that has been the situation at every Gulf University where I taught - starting in the late 80s. They are just getting into line. I had to sit in chaotic group offices with a dozen ringing phones... loud conversations... people coming and going... all day. And then go home and do prep and corrections because it was impossible to think in my office.

Insane... I always resented being treated as if my job was the same as a secretary or factory worker. But he who pays the salary makes the rules. Evil or Very Mad

And if we don't like it, the choice is obvious... leave...

VS
blastermill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

But that has been the situation at every Gulf University where I taught - starting in the late 80s. They are just getting into line. I had to sit in chaotic group offices with a dozen ringing phones... loud conversations... people coming and going... all day. And then go home and do prep and corrections because it was impossible to think in my office.

Insane... I always resented being treated as if my job was the same as a secretary or factory worker. But he who pays the salary makes the rules. Evil or Very Mad

And if we don't like it, the choice is obvious... leave...

VS

This new 35 hour work week contract is an insult. I worked at HCT for a couple of years and yes we had to stay on premises for 35 hours but only 18 to 20 of those hours were spent teaching or tutoring. We had time to do other things - I don't know about you but I managed to do most of my prep at my HCT college. I worked at a community college in the States and nobody forced us to stay at our desk. It was understood teachers needed some downtime to do their prep and marking at home.

The new QU teaching load for foundation teachers is going to be 35 hours teaching and tutoring. My question is - when do these guys get time to do their prep and marking. Making teachers have 35 student-teacher contact hours is not practiced anywhere else in the Gulf. This is an asinine policy. You mentioned phones etc and disturbance - the solution is to give each teacher a private office but I doubt any places have enough space for this.

I am sure that the QU teachers will resent being treated like factory workers too. Whoever is behind this scheme is clearly not an educator but an office worker. No academic worth his salt would suggest forcing fellow instructors to have 35 hours with students. Is there any university in the world that has such an asinine policy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: