Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

standardized testing for children?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty77

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: standardized testing for children? Reply with quote

I'm not new to this gig, but during my career I've been teaching mostly groups of adults business English or ESP. I've just been offered some work teaching children, via 'private lessons' and the parents have proposed that I provide them with regular "progress reports" and conduct "standardized tests" similar to those given by the British Council or some similar paragon of linguistic authority.
Upside is that the opp presents itself, as far as I can tell after meeting both the children and parents, as regular, scheduled afternoons of teaching work with private students who will not cancel lessons in the morning. The downside seems to be that, in my opinion, these are unrealistic expectations for a trio of 10-11 year olds. My first instinct was to view this as overly ambitious parents transferring these aspirations to their children.But I've already taught a day of lessons to the kids, who seem to be wonderful, pleasant children. Are these too serious-bordering-on-nuts-over-achieving, over-expecting parents, or is these 'normal' parental expectations in Poland whilst teaching kids? Any chance that I could be a calming 'Uncle Buck' here, or should I avoid getting into this?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only give you some advice that might make sense.

You need to sit down with the parents and establish exactly what they mean by standardised testing. Do they want the children to pass exams (in which case - the Cambridge YLE exams - http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams-and-qualifications/young-learners/ - would be the best thing to work towards. I would steer away from doing your own testing (except on the basis of preparing them for external exams) - because they will always pick holes in what you're doing.

They seem to be somewhat normal expectations - Polish parents will have experienced a regime in which papers are more important than ability, and they are probably passing it on to their children. It's just a feature of Polish life - a certificate in a Cambridge YLE exam is absolutely meaningless, but it means they can boast about it to their friends and so on.

My advice - if you want to ensure the loyalty of the parents - propose that you will teach them towards doing one exam each year. It's realistic that they can do an exam a year - the Cambridge exam cycle is from September to May, so what you can do is insist that in return for such a commitment from you (progress reports, etc) - then you need to set the dates for the classes for the whole year in advance, and also that missed classes will still be charged for (as they'll have to make the work up in their own time).

I'd also make it clear that the classes should be for a minimum of 2 hours a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: