Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Cities with the most TEFL work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
refugee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: UK Cities with the most TEFL work? Reply with quote

My wife is going to study in the UK for a Master's next year. The choice of institution is going to be influenced by the availability of work for me in that city.

I'm British, have an MA TESOL, CELTA, and 8 years experience in SE Asia and Korea including some junior/middle management roles in schools.

London is the obvious choice (living costs aside). She's also looking at Oxford which I believe has some work available.

I know the employment situation in the UK has seen better days, but I'd be grateful if someone could share suggestions of where there probably would/wouldn't be some/any TEFL work available.

FWIW, I'd prefer EAP or such like.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm presuming by "next year" you mean 2013......

Surely a lot will depend on the subject field of her intended Masters ?? Not every university offers every subject. If she is accepted, you could try to get accepted to teach onto a pre-sessional course which is sometimes the back door into a more permanent position and private lessons.

Universities that have summer work (plus after sometimes) are:

Edinburgh
Exeter
Newcastle
Norwich (East Anglia)
Southampton
Manchester
Sheffield
Birmingham

Good luck in your decision!
refugee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response, Dedicated. I don't think I was clear in my post though. We're going to choose a university for her partially based on the availability of work in that university's city (or town) and not necessarily in that particular university (although that's something I'd obviously be looking in to).

Is that an exhaustive list you posted or just some institutions that spring to mind? I would have thought there would be more universities offering pre-sessional courses.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm afraid this is not an exhaustive list but just those that spring to mind, or those that I've heard about. I'm pretty sure there must be others.

You might like to check out jobs.ac.uk and baleap.org that seem to place adverts for pre-sessional teachers.

However, your wife should surely be looking at individual university rankings before deciding on a Masters that merely suits your possible employment.

PM me if you want more details about London openings.[/i]
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more universities/cities where you might pick up EAP work :

Leicester
Bangor (N.Wales)
Aberystwyth (N.Wales)
Glamorgan (S.Wales)
Bath
Durham
Liverpool
Loughborough
Middlesex
Nottingham
Reading
Teesside, Middlesbrough.
refugee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your insights and pointers.

At the moment she's looking at Oxford Brookes and LSE. The latter is 22,000 for the master's and Oxford's a snip at 13,000 - so that's a factor too.

I actually chose my grad school with consideration for how bearable it would be for the Mrs to live there (Brighton) and less so on the uni rankings.

Anyway, it would probably be in 2013 and so I'm just looking at options. Thanks again for the info.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a huge difference between an MA from LSE, a prestigious, world-ranking university and one from Oxford Brookes.

Presumably your wife is not British with such fees.

Whilst it is highly competitive to even get a place at LSE, having an MA from there will make securing a good job much more likely. On the other hand, that cannot be said about Oxford Brookes which is a very low ranking university. It could be false economy to invest in a cheap MA.
Perilla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
There is a huge difference between an MA from LSE, a prestigious, world-ranking university and one from Oxford Brookes.

Whilst it is highly competitive to even get a place at LSE, having an MA from there will make securing a good job much more likely. On the other hand, that cannot be said about Oxford Brookes which is a very low ranking university. It could be false economy to invest in a cheap MA.

I'm not at all sure about this. At least, I think much depends on the subject and the job you're applying for. If it's an MBA we're talking about (for example) I'd say yes the institution's reputation carries weight, perhaps as much due to the the connections you'd make whilst on the course as the course itself. However, if the subject is say, in the arts or languages, and you're looking for a job as a TEFLer (or other 'low-ranking' profession!), then I reckon you're going to get far less 'payback' by shelling out on an expensive institution. For most artsy subjects and low-tech jobs, I'd say it looks good simply to have a UK degree, and never mind the institution.
refugee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, she'll be studying accounting, so I suppose LSE would carry more weight in that subject.

After shelling out for that course, and then another 1000 pounds/month for rent in London, I'm not sure we could afford it though.

That brings me back to my original question. Dedicated gave me a list of unis which may employ me, but what about the regular TEFL jobs? Where in The UK would I have a greater likelihood of finding decent/any jobs?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have more chance getting into EAP if you can in a university city, where you can build up private lessons too.

Regular TEFL jobs (even in the cities I mentioned above) do not pay very well....between 10 -18 pounds per hour... whereas you can command 35-50 pounds for EAP.

Good luck in your search !
Perilla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

refugee wrote:
FWIW, she'll be studying accounting, so I suppose LSE would carry more weight in that subject.

After shelling out for that course, and then another 1000 pounds/month for rent in London, I'm not sure we could afford it though.

I honestly doubt you'd get your money's worth with an MA in economics from LSE, because (pls correct me if I'm wrong) there's no obvious career track to go down with an MA in economics - it's a fairly 'generic' subject, perhaps a bit like geography in a way, which leads to a job in um, er, anything. So you're probably better off saving your money and doing it in a university town outside London. Not sure if Lancaster University has been mentioned yet? It has a big overseas student intake, so there could be a chance of EAP work there.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP has said his wife will study accounting, not economics.

At LSE the MSc in Accounting and Finance/ Accounting and Financial Management, or even International Accounting and Finance are highly rated worldwide by all investment banks and consultancy companies.
LSE is a top world-ranking university.

These courses are taught by top professors, central bankers and business leaders. If you can get on to these courses (they are highly competitive) then you are virtually guaranteed to pick up an excellent job a well as making useful contacts.

One of my former (Chinese) students finished his MSc at LSE in Accounting, and has just secured a post (at age 23) at Ernst and Young at 65,000 GB pounds per year.

If I were going to study accounting, I'd choose LSE over any other UK university.
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
The OP has said his wife will study accounting, not economics.

Ah yes, my mistake. I totally agree that for a vocational subject like accounting there's a good chance that the LSE course will pay dividends. Having said that, I would also say that the age of the student is another factor to consider - obviously a mature student might not be as employable as an early 20s graduate. But if age and/or a lack of former relevant experience isn't an issue, it might be worth forking out for the LSE degree. And of course London will also offer more EAP work possibilities than anywhere else. But yes, rents are high ... choices, choices!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: