Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making the bus monitor cry
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wangdaning

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some ways children are learning to use violence, or violent words, because they can. Nothing will happen to them, so why not. Worrying that their self esteem may be injured is, well, a very old idea.

Looking at these kids it seems they have inflated self esteem. Making someone feel like trash is bad, but making them feel they can do whatever they want is on the same level. They need a good smack.

Biggest problem here is the parents, but these kids are old enough to know better.

"A common alternative is to educate why the action was wrong to the point of invoking empathy or shame. "

Isn't this the outcome of public ridicule? Unless they are pychopaths they will realize what they have done was wrong. The attention will put them in the place they put this poor lady.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
In some ways children are learning to use violence, or violent words, because they can. Nothing will happen to them, so why not. Worrying that their self esteem may be injured is, well, a very old idea.

Looking at these kids it seems they have inflated self esteem. Making someone feel like trash is bad, but making them feel they can do whatever they want is on the same level. They need a good smack.

Yeah, I agree with you thtat they don't lak self-esteem. In fact, someone's got to pull the cork out and drain some of that self-esteem. Cool

Quote:

Biggest problem here is the parents, but these kids are old enough to know better.

"A common alternative is to educate why the action was wrong to the point of invoking empathy or shame. "

Isn't this the outcome of public ridicule? Unless they are pychopaths they will realize what they have done was wrong. The attention will put them in the place they put this poor lady.

Yeah, I think if the parents said, "we need to talk snugglebunny about the tewwible howwible wordies you said to the sweet old lady?" Rolling Eyes

"You mean fatass?" Shocked

"Oh, how do you think she feels when you say 'fatass'?" Embarassed

"Like the fatass *beep* she is!" Surprised

Embarassed Surprised Shocked
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Cool Teacher and wangdaning,

Just curious - do you have kids? Do you use corporal punishment to control their behavior? Did your parents use corporal punishment when raising you?

Regards,
John
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:

Just curious - do you have kids?

Not that I know of Wink

johnslat wrote:
Did your parents use corporal punishment when raising you?

Yes, I said so. Very Happy

How about you? Cool
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Cool Teacher,

Two kids - never used corporal punishment and my parents never used it on me (and my Dad was a policeman Very Happy)

As a teacher, do you think corporal punishment has a place in the classroom?

By the way, I agree about the "low self-esteem". I don't think bullies necessarily have that. I'd say it's more likely shame that drives many of them. Shame can be experienced as such a negative, intense emotion of self-loathing that it can lead someone to disown it, and, in the case of one who acts like a bully, give it away by evoking that emotion in others. Kids who bully and tease can easily figure out what makes other kids (or, as in this case, adults) ashamed.

Regards,
John
wangdaning

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:

Just curious - do you have kids? Do you use corporal punishment to control their behavior? Did your parents use corporal punishment when raising you?

Regards,
John

No kids. I was raised by my mom, she used corporal punishment. Nothing too over the top, a good smack to the face for staring or something like that. It was only when I was younger though.

If I had children, I would reserve the right to use corporal punishment. There is a time and a place, as with any method.

In the classroom, I see no need, but I teach university students. If I taught children, I see how it could come into play. Personally, I think that is not part of my job. I am a language teacher, not a disciplinarian.

The problem I see is that these are not children. They are a group of teenage boys picking on an elderly woman. You call it corporal punishment, I call it a life lesson. If you act like that people will get angry and you will get hurt. If they did that on a public bus, well, they might end up dead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: