Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joke of the Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Joke of the Day Reply with quote

OK, here's a new thread: linguistic/semantic/grammar/etc. jokes. Any joke that illustrates the perils/humor of miscommunication:

To start off:

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says "OK, now what?"

Regards,
John
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it John!

I just wanted to share a little story I thought was funny...

I was driving to work last Wednesday and playing with the radio like usual, when the car in front of me stopped suddenly, I was able to hit the brakes but still rammed into the back ever so lightly. I got out of the car and to my surprise a little person (dwarf/midget, not sure of the proper term) got out of the car I had hit.

He walked right up to me and said "I'm not Happy."

To which I responded "Well then which one are you?"
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sparks,

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I suspect he was Grumpy.

Regards,
John
artemisia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this old joke about memos floating around on the internet in various versions and I thought of this thread:

FROM CEO TO MANAGER:

Today at 11 o�clock there will be a total eclipse of the sun. This is when the sun disappears behind the moon for 2 minutes. As this cannot be seen every day, time will be given for the employees to witness the eclipse from the parking lot. Staff should meet in the lot at 10 to 11. I will deliver a short speech introducing the eclipse. Safety goggles will be available at a small cost.

FROM MANAGER TO DEPARTMENT HEAD:

Today at 10 to 11, all staff should meet at the car park. This will be followed by a total eclipse of the sun, which will disappear for 2 minutes. For a moderate cost, this will be made safe with goggles. The CEO will deliver a short speech beforehand. This is not something which can be seen every day.

FROM DEPARTMENT HEAD TO FLOOR MANAGER:

The CEO will today deliver a short speech which will make the sun disappear for 2 minutes in the form of an eclipse. This is something which cannot be seen every day, so the staff will assemble in the parking lot at 10 to 11. This will be safe if you pay a moderate cost.

FROM FLOOR MANAGER TO SUPERVISOR:

Ten or eleven staff members are to go to the car park, where the CEO will eclipse the sun for 2 minutes. This doesn�t happen every day. It will be safe. As usual, it will cost you.

FROM SUPERVISOR TO STAFF:

Some staff will go to the Car Park to see the CEO disappear. It�s a pity this doesn�t happen every day.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enthusiastic clapping! And laughing. . .and groaning--it's too true. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: