Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Biology??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musaafira

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Teaching Biology?? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I know this is an ESL forum but just wanted to ask if anyone had any info on teaching Biology in the UAE (school / uni level) for those with MAs from the States?

Thanks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University level would likely require a PhD except for the smaller private universities.

In the better international schools, they would want you to have a teaching certificate/license from your home country.

VS
Gus Barkley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey VS, I teach in a content area with only a Master's at an unnamed major residential university in Al Ain. Cool

I know that three of the colleges within the unnamed major residential university hire people to teach with only a Master's. Smile
Gus Barkley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Musaafira, I have no idea about biology. I guess my point is that it doesn't hurt to try applying at the universities.
Hatcher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, HCT for sure hires master degree holders to teach and I think ADU does well and I am under the impression that the salary is 10-20% higher than ESL.
musaafira

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanksss for all the replies!!! much appreciated. i was told too that ppl can get hired with just MAs but just wanted to ask everyone here.
Gus Barkley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatcher - As a content instructor at my unnamed major residential university in Al Ain I have to say the starting salaries are lower than my fellow UGRU colleagues get. We get other opportunities to make money which make up for the difference but in terms of salary, it is lower. (Also the culture of UGRU is shockingly more strict than the rest of the university.)

That said, before arriving in the UAE my first offer was for HCT Sharjah and that pay was above what ESL teachers made there (or so I've heard second hand since then).

Grr... gnashing teeth... by mentioning UGRU I guess I've exposed what major residential university I work for in Al Ain.

Oh, well, at least I didn't mention I work the Business college...

D'oh!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has claimed that no one hires MAs for any content courses. Laughing

Yes, I too taught business content courses with my MA in TEFL - at HCT in the UAE and a private college in Oman. But the universities where I taught that offered science majors had PhDs teaching even foundations level science courses. This was true in Kuwait and Oman. Science is considered a more "important" major and there are plenty of Arab and sub-continental PhDs available.

Go to the university websites and see if there are openings and what they require. Your best chance is probably the smaller private colleges. It is all about supply and demand.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: