Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP.....need advice on Dubai job offer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: HELP.....need advice on Dubai job offer? Reply with quote

I received a job offer from a school in Dubai. My salary will be 7250 AED. I get free airfare and accomodation. My visa costs are covered and I will receive a government health card on arrival. Is this salary enough to live on? I tried looking up online but have found mixed reviews. Any information or advice would be appreciated.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... that is very low. Do you have no credentials or experience? That is about what I was paid in the late 80s with a new MA and only one year of full-time experience - and that was in Oman where the pay has always been lower than the UAE.

But can you live on it? That always depends on your lifestyle. If you are single, don't drink alcohol, prepare simple meals at home, have the slowest internet and the cheapest cell phone (forget an iPhone), no sat TV, and no car... you could probably save some of it. Laughing

It's all about your priorities...

VS
[email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience. I am just finishing my MA degree in TESOL and that is what I as offered. From your advice I don't think I could live on that. I love to drink, eat out and party at the weekend so I doubt it would cover me.

I'm quite disappointed though. I was looking forward to moving to the UAE. I can't seem to find a job except for that offer.

Thanks for your help.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I have no experience. I am just finishing my MA degree in TESOL and that is what I as offered.
I'm quite disappointed though. I was looking forward to moving to the UAE. I can't seem to find a job except for that offer.

That's the reality. Newbies like the Mid East for the salaries; however, top pay goes to teachers with relevant MAs and years of TEFL experience. You're best to look at other regions in the world, like Asia, for gaining your own first few years of teaching experience.
Gus Barkley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is more than just the ridiculously low salary. Any organization offering this salary is going to treat you very poorly. The offer is less than half anyone else with a Master's is getting paid.* This is a stratified culture in the workplace. Whereas I am used to treating pretty much everyone as "equals" in the US that is very much not true here.

Getting paid just under $24,000 would be living like a king in some parts of the world but here you would only be able to save - like VS said - if you live a simple life with no amenities. But to me the greater negative would be how you would be treated.

Get experience elsewhere. Come to the UAE in a few years with experience and you will have offers of at least double.

* There are possibly some people working in the Emirates with a Master's working for less than Dh 14,000... It's just not anyone I know or anyone I've read on this board not employed by Kaplan.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Get experience elsewhere. Come to the UAE in a few years with experience and you will have offers of at least double.

Yup... this is what you should do. You can see the lack of respect for the newbie to the field, even with an MA. And while you are at it, try to get experience that the Middle East is looking for.

Teach adults, not kids.
Try to teach Academic English, not conversation classes.
Experience teaching reading and writing is best.
Test preparation courses - IELTS and TOEFL

When you have 2-3 years of experience in these, then is the time to try to break into the Middle East. Because of the high salaries, they can demand a good CV. It may take you more than 2-3 years to get it all together. Plan ahead, once your CV is ready for prime time, plan to attend TESOL Arabia and do face-to-face interviews.

An added benefit is that Asia is much more fun if you are young and single. Cool

VS
metateacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: salary in Dubai Reply with quote

That is absolutely not enough to live on. Do NOT accept. I get double that and have very little left at the end of the month.
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7000 seems too low, especially when there are offers out there of 8-9000 for teachers WITHOUT an MA.
mr.jones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're experienced or lucky, a "cushy" Dubai gig can be hard to come by. In my experience, a lot of people come through Oman or Saudi. Suggest you do a contract in one of those two places and then try the UAE. Oman would be the better--although lesser paid--choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: