Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone moving to Abu Dhabi in August?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baa_baa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: anyone moving to Abu Dhabi in August? Reply with quote

issi14 wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm new to the board. I wanted to know if anyone's moving to Abu Dhabi in August of 2012. I'm looking for an apartment and needed advice. Where do I begin my search? Also would like to get to know a couple of people before I get there since I don't know anybody. I'm waiting on IAT to let me know if I have passed the recruitment process (had a Skype interview in Feb and received a letter of acceptance from them a few weeks later, sent all my documents and now waiting). Is it normal to take this long? Heard from a few that yes. But that doesn't stop me from starting my apartment search. Budget is about 10000 dirham a month. Looking for a one or two bedroom apartment. Preferably in Al Khalidiya or nearby.

Anybody else planning on working at IAT Abu Dhabi campus?

Hi, I saw that they were looking for teachers. Honestly speaking UAE is quick, it does not take them that long. Its wise that you call up and ask what happened. Visa comes in less than 48 hrs. IF it exceeds so then they have moved on to another applicant. They tend to do that.

About accommodation you will not be able to pay rent monthly, they usually want it in one checkque max 2. I do not know the rents in Khaldiyah but the cheaper ones are in Khalifa A. Its is 20 min. away and MANY expats live there. You can always rent a car. prices start at 1500 dirhams. You will probably have to spend 500 dirhams for gas per month.
Fast food menus begin at 20 dirham and could could up to 30 depending on what you eat. You shouldn't be paying electricity and water. It should be part of the rent. Dubai is different so don't let them get you.

IN Khalifa A hopefully you should find houses for 2500 aed but again I don't think per month. Chances are really low. The houses over there are all brand new. Its actually consists of villas. What they did is that they divided up all the houses into tiny tiny studios which include a mini kitchen with a bathroom.

Check out dubbizzle.com. It should help out A LOT. Don't wire the money but do agree that once you see the house you will pay for it. There shouldn't be a problem.

One thing popped up. They will require you to make a payment twice a year if you can't pay in one go. The thing is that they will ask for a checkque and you don't get a bank account until after you get your residence visa. Some schools gave it to me in three months others gave it to me in 5-6 weeks. So you may look for another job that offers an accommodation. Usually all offers in the use include so. I am talking about teaching jobs of course.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting new word that you have invented. The first time I thought it was a typo, but since you used it twice it must be a new inclusive form for all native speakers:

checkque

A combo of the American spelling "check" and the British spelling "cheque."

We English teachers are a creative crowd. Cool

VS
helenl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but you can get a bank account before your residency/work visa is processed - many banks offer a non-resident account. And reputable employers (with a good fixer on staff) can process your visa much more quickly - 2 weeks. IAT shouldn't be an issue on either count.

B-B Where are you buying gas or how long is your commute that you're paying 500 Dirhams a month?

Dividing or partitioning villas can be done illegally and if the authorities "raid" them, you're out on the street immediately with no recourse. Do look on Dubizzle but make sure you have a legal (and filed with the appropriate government authority) lease with the landlord.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Interesting new word that you have invented. The first time I thought it was a typo, but since you used it twice it must be a new inclusive form for all native speakers:

checkque

A combo of the American spelling "check" and the British spelling "cheque."

We English teachers are a creative crowd. Cool

VS

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed noo not a typooo
baa_baa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helenl wrote:
Sorry, but you can get a bank account before your residency/work visa is processed - many banks offer a non-resident account. And reputable employers (with a good fixer on staff) can process your visa much more quickly - 2 weeks. IAT shouldn't be an issue on either count.

B-B Where are you buying gas or how long is your commute that you're paying 500 Dirhams a month?

Dividing or partitioning villas can be done illegally and if the authorities "raid" them, you're out on the street immediately with no recourse. Do look on Dubizzle but make sure you have a legal (and filed with the appropriate government authority) lease with the landlord.

ok i did not know about non resident account though I did ask and had been told I needed a resident visa.. Anyways that makes it a good news. Hmm I used a suzuki the smallest one.. I think is sniffs the gas lol.. Abu dhabi is so small..

Ugh good luck with the apartment hunting honestly speaking I have not heard any sort of stories about that.. I don't think you will face problems.
bin There

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone moving to Abu Dhabi in August? Reply with quote

[quote="baa_baa"]
issi14 wrote:

I do not know the rents in Khaldiyah but the cheaper ones are in Khalifa A. Its is 20 min. away and MANY expats live there. You can always rent a car. prices start at 1500 dirhams. You will probably have to spend 500 dirhams for gas per month.
Fast food menus begin at 20 dirham and could could up to 30 depending on what you eat. You shouldn't be paying electricity and water. It should be part of the rent. Dubai is different so don't let them get you.

Be prepared for desert living in Khalifa A. There's not a lot there except villas and sand. You can't walk to stores, etc. It's over 45 mins away from downtown Abu Dhabi during the day time. You could do it in 20 mins on a Friday morning when there are only a few other cars on the road.

You shouldn't spend more than 300 Dhs a month on gas (unless you plan to go to Dubai every week). If you live in the city - 200 Dhs enough. Frequent drives from Khalifa or other places off-island, 300.

Fast food menus begin at 11 Dhs (in KFC). MacDonald's menus start at 16 Dhs. An all-you-can-eat Indian are found at over at under 10 Dhs. Falafel sandwiches under 5 Dhs. Fast food more expensive, unhealthier and less tasty than local eateries - imho
Geronimo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello issi14,

Have you heard any more news regarding your start date yet?

IAT would like its new recruits to arrive on 26th August to
undertake their induction - prior to the arrival of their existing
staff on 2nd September. A big gathering is set for that date
in the Head Office in Abu Dhabi city.

And, the students are supposed to arrive on the following Sunday.

Note that the Adveti program - is now on an upswing,
and even more English Teachers will be recruited shortly.

The IAT will be setting up 3 new campuses -
in Sharjah, Ras Al Khaimah and Fujairah,
in addition to those of the 6 existing Institutes
to be found at the bottom of the Adveti homepage...
http://adveti.abudhabi.ae/

The background to this new investment was addressed in
a recent article in "The National" ...
http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/abu-dhabis-multibillion-dirham-look-to-the-future

One of the problems currently confronting the IAT is that its own recruitment section is under-staffed.
Another related problem is that the recruitment campaign
is being undetaken during a month of reduced working hours.

With respect to the banking issue; preceding IAT recruits
have taken their AED 20,000 Relocation checks/cheques
to open up their new bank accounts within days of their arrival.
Online banking is on offer, too, of course.

Geronimo
issi14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Hey Geronimo,

Thanks for the info! No, I haven't heard anything yet. It's been months. I guess I'll just have to wait till Ramadan is over. lol.
Geronimo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, issi14!

Have you seen the new advert for teachers across the UAE
that has just been
posted by Xperteach ?

It looks like Kaplan has some competition.

Geronimo
issi14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I have. They are interviewing for Al Rowdah. I have applied with Teachaway for the same school as a backup. It's just too bad that the interviews are only held in Chicago and London. So far! lol. Are you currently working in the UAE? Or applying for a position as well?
Geronimo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a job in the UAE.
imranaz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Adding On... Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I just thought I'd add on to this post instead of creating a new one. So thanks issi14 for starting it.
I'm actually going to the interview tomorrow in Chicago for Al Rowdah. I'm a bit confused on the location. Is it in Dubai or Abu Dhabi?
Apparently for the interview, ADVETI will give a 15 minute test and then conduct an interview. Has anyone gone through this process? If it works out, then the start date is September 5th for teachers, flying out earlier ofcourse. I landed the interview through Xperteach.
The package seems decent. How difficult is it to find another gig when you are in the UAE for teaching or non-teaching?

Cheers
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, one does not go there to find a job. You are hired from outside the country. If you are hired locally, you will probably end up with local hire pay... and no benefits.

Don't expect to accept a job with one employer and then pop off to another employer if you don't like this or that. It really isn't an option with any of the employers that you would want to work for... employer one controls your work visa.

VS
iggyb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the Chicago interview and was offered a job with ADVETI.

They were going through interviews pretty quick. Mostly to take a look at us. At the end, the guy mentioned 3 locations I could indicate a preference for, and I had no clue. The initial contract he gave me didn't name any of them, so I'm happy with whichever - this late in the game.

I also didn't think to get a buisness card to call him to let him know I wanted the job, and neither person in the interview thought to give me one.

So, I faxed a signed copy to the number on the form (in Abu Dhabi) and then DHLed it. And emailed the recruiter (Reach Recruiting). That should do it...I included the documents they listed - which is about the 4th time I've included them either via email or in person.

I'm excited about going to a new region of the world. I did Korea twice for a total of 8 years. I figure if I could make it 4 years in Korea during the late 1990s when there were no public school jobs and the hakwon industry was in the toilet, I should be fine.

I have to locate a place too, and that is slightly worrisome. Also that you have to pay up front or in 2 big chunks - while the school gives you the allowance each month???

But, again, being a survivor of hakwons in Korea, I'm not hard to please when it comes to housing. I'd prefer closer to work with less comfort and space.

I can handle the chunk up front, but having been through Korea, and being new to the UAE, I would worry about worst case scenarios. It wouldn't be nice to just throw the money away.

Anybody else in Abu Dhabi who did Korea? What is cheapish housing like?

I lived in places in Korea that were little bigger than a closet. When I went back and got a studio with a public school, it was like a mansion compared to the 1990s...

I'll be interested to see how quickly they get this done, because I believe the classes for these jobs begin in early September and we just got interviewed and hired today.

They asked how soon could I relocate, and I said as soon as the paperwork is done. I mentioned the FBI Criminal Background Check. I put in for that about 3-4 weeks ago and am still waiting.

He said not to worry that they handle all of that.

So, I guess they will also let me know about attesting things...

We'll see...
madrileno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to know how all this worked out, as I currently have an upcoming interview with Al Rowdah. I'm going through one of their recruiters, Footprints, and they've advertised for 45 English teaching positions starting late August.

It'll be interesting to see how fast this process goes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: