Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recruiter For Thai Schools $200 FEE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRJohn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Recruiter For Thai Schools $200 FEE? Reply with quote

I would like replies from people who have worked in Thailand please. I just applied for a job ad I saw on Dave's ESL. This was for a recruiter advertising for public school jobs in Thailand. The company website is called English Jobs Abroad. The e-mail is [email protected] The website looks good. They offer training and help with Thailand, and (according to the ad) free accommodation while I am teaching. Salary : $1000 per month.
But they do want teachers to cough up $200 to them to pay for hotel fees while I am training. How can I prove it's not a scam? If it is standard practice then I may hand over the cash. But how do I know it's not a scam?The thing is that a lot of the ads for Thai jobs that I see either require an application fee or I have to do a CELTA (something I already have) with the recruiter before I teach.
Have any of you come to Thailand and worked through a recruiter like this?
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have a CELTA, why are you considering taking the training you have described?

I would save your money and come here and start looking for a job as soon as you hit the ground. There are many and you will quickly learn about life and work here.

Good luck with it and I would suggest you ask specific questions here as there are many Thailand "vets" posting here on a daily basis.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say. It's possible they could ease the shock when you arrive in the Thai education system and make things simpler for you. As far as the free accomodation, I have experience with that. You could very well be holed up in a totally disgusting place that most people in thier right mind would move out of and simply pay for thier own apartment. This happened to me in that ******** place called Lopburi. It happened to another teacher there as well at the same place. You'll be placed in accomodation provided by the school and in Thailand they cut corners habitually and for absolutely everything.
DMPT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is absolutely no need to pay any sort of recruiter fee.

Come here and get a job off ajarn.com
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fool and their money are soon parted.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER pay a recruiter a fee for a job.

flow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not pay a single dime to a recruiter here in Thailand. Job placement should be FREE with any recruiter/agency.

Vacant apartments for rent are everywhere. Pay's low though, so there will be plenty of schools wanting your services. MOD EDIT

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: