Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working at internationals schools with an MA TESOL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylieneill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Working at internationals schools with an MA TESOL Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm currently working at a language academy in Palma de Mallorca and have been looking for something a little more stable contract wise.

I was wondering if anyone has experience in working at international schools in Spain and whether or not they employ teachers without a PGCE. I have a PGDip TESOL will have completed my MA by Feb and hope to get into one of the schools here when I'm qualified. I've already spoken to one school who prefer PGCE but due to the small population of fully qualified teachers on the island, may accept MAs in other related fields.

As always any advice much appreciated!

Cheers

Neill Cool
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that many more openings are for math/science/other core subject teachers than TESOL. I've heard of a few openings around for English language expert teachers, but far more for regular core subjects.

Doesn't mean you won't find someting, but it's far easier if you are qualified to teach something other than English language.

PCGE qualified UK teachers also compete for the int'l school openings, so I guess it could be a bit tough to find something.

Have you researched university jobs? I have a few acquaintances teaching EFL at university level in Spain; some unis have English language departments, where your MA TESL would be more directly relevant.
pr455

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Spiral78 on this one. Yes, universities do have English language departments, and I can speak for Madrid, and even they are cutting back on hiring due to the crisis. Many are looking for part-time teachers only and nothing more. Please do not let this deter you from applying because you may luck up and get a full-time position. You just have to be realisitic with what's going on at the moment in Spain.

The American school in Madrid is looking for content teachers, like Spiral78 has said, and even they hire teachers from abroad, so many people already here don't stand a chance of getting hired there, unless there is some exceptional circumstance and someone is needed right now.

Please let us know how it goes and I am rooting for you to find something.

Have a great day,

Shawn

Last edited by pr455 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
wylieneill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys

Thanks a lot for the input. I have looked into the University side of things and agree that it may be more solid. I think at the moment a part time contract is the more likely option so I'll just keep at it and hopefully something comes up. I have had some positive feedback from the British Council here in Palma who I think pay a little more so maybe that will lead to something - who knows!?

Thanks!

Neill
pr455

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neill,

Please keep us posted. Something is out there for you. Keep hitting the pavement and applying for everything that you are qualified for.

I am doing the same and I am having a lot of luck giving talks in conferences, being a lecturer in bilingual Master degree programs and doing teacher training.

Suerte,

Shawn

Last edited by pr455 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
wylieneill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very interesting Shawn - gracias!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: