Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working on a F visa (2012)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you teach in china on an F Visa?
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 15

NewToTown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Working on a F visa (2012) Reply with quote

Hi All,

So the company I was thinking about working with in Beijing wants me to come on an F visa. I like the company and even choose them over a higher paying position because of the location & other benefits but I am wondering how sketchy is it to work on an F Visa? They say they will pay for all my extensions but would that be annoying to get it renewed every 3 months?

Also what would the deal be with taxes -- obviously I would be evading Chinese taxes but what about the US?

I can see one benefit in that I would not be tied to a government contract.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Smile
Zimmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Working on a F visa (2012) Reply with quote

I can see one benefit in that I would not be tied to a government contract.

Contracts don't mean much here to begin with but that aside, you not being tied to a government contract also means your employer wouldn't be. If they decide to rip you off you'd have no recourse.

Personally I wouldn't touch any job that couldn't provide me a proper working visa but that's just me. Read the threads here related to this, there are plenty of them, then decide what you're comfortable doing.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have added the voting option of HAVE YOU EVER WORKED ON AN F VISA for a better result.

You need to remember that the police have periodic sweeps of foreigner working illegally. This happens to coincide with issues where some jerkoff makes the news for assaulting a Chinese national or doing something else that is newsworthy ( check out Chinasmack about some drunk Russian going bezerk a few days ago.)

Having the wrong visa during a sweep can end your vacation quickly.

Plus you need to know the rules of visa - they change often. This means maybe you can't extend your visa more than once etc etc.

But much comes down to issues of trust. IF you trust your school and want to take the chance then go for it. Just remember, they ain't in the Marines and they WILL leave a man behind when push comes to shove - especially when money is involved.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps Don't worry about US taxes. In reality you don't exist in China as a worker and anyone trying to get proof that you worked in China and earned any money will have a hard time.

if you have to file taxes in the US DON'T mention your assistance in China - it's much easier.

Some people I know collected US unemployment for over two years while working in China. Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: