Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting a master's in TESOL at age 55

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrobbins

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: getting a master's in TESOL at age 55 Reply with quote

Hello,
I am currently an editor at a publishing company but have volunteered in a city ESL program, which I loved, and got a TEFL certificate last year. I am considering switching careers to teaching adults at a community college or other higher ed institution, and I know that a master's is needed (I do have a PhD, but in an unrelated field). I have been thinking of doing an online MA TESOL from the New School in NYC while continuing to work. I know the job situation is not all that great, with many people being hired as adjuncts or lecturers without benefits, and I would be in my mid-50s when beginning to look for jobs. Does this plan make any sense? Or would it be better to stick with volunteering? Also if anyone knows anything about the New School's program, that would be useful too.
Thank you!
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New School's program is highly regarded. But as I recall, it will cost you a fairly sizable chunk of change. If you were younger, I'd say "Go for it." If you were older, I'd say, "Forget the MA. You'll never recover the cost." But you're right on the cusp, and the determining factor is really how strongly you want the career change. You don't sound impulsive or naive, and you do seem to be well-informed about the downside.

I suspect you'll get a lot of advice telling you that it would be a mistake, but I'm rather fond of mid-50's career changes myself. Smile

Last edited by Xie Lin on Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second the quality of the programme at New School. It's very reputable - and recognized.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would add here is that you may find more job opportunities if you can find a way to tack on K-12 teaching certification. It may absolutely not be the direction you want to go in here career, but it may open windows. I'm not sure if that is included in the New School program, but would involve eventually a summer practicuum to get certified, and some state exams.
bobdaun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out some schools in the UK. University of Leicester, University of Birmingham, University of Nottingham, University of Sunderland, they all have well-regarded online MA TESOL programs you can take, and they all cost a lot less then the New School one, even for an international student.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: