Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Hiring Qualification Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunshinefiasco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Another Hiring Qualification Question Reply with quote

Hello all, I've been lurking a little bit and from what I can tell, my qualifications are on the bottom rung of what it takes to get hired in the ME, but I haven't seen a post that matches my situation exactly yet.

I'm a 24-year old female. BA in International Studies (not-English), 180-hour in person/real-deal TESOL and mid-second contract in a Korean Middle School. (And as a preceptor, not that I'm sure that matters).

Location: I'm open to anywhere, though I'm not sure the KSA is for me (plus there's a whole be-27 thing, no?). Oman and Abu Dhabi sound nice (I think I've read that you need a little more cred for Oman though)?

Job: I've heard of 9-month positions in which you prep kids to write at a college level, do they look for specific experience? Right now I'm just dipping my toe in the water, so I'd like to hear about anything. Thanks, and feel free to be frank, as I'm aware that I may need to go get a master's or be doomed to some insane job by a shoddy recruiter with no work visa.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goodie... you asked me to be frank... Cool

IMHO... the Middle East is not a good place for 24 year old entry level teachers. You are correct about the Saudi age issue, but there is also a discipline issue. The students tend to be pretty immature and can truly be a handful. Luckily I was 40 when I arrived and though I was a newbie with the right MA, I had little classroom management experience. But my age and a sense of humor got me through those first years. I mention that because you mentioned prepping for university. That is done in Foundations Programs at the colleges and universities and the decent employers invariably require an MA + 3-5 years of related university experience. Most contracts are for 3 years.

Teach a couple more years... try to teach high school or adults... try to do Academic English... reading/writing.

And yes... get that related MA. It will help you to avoid some of the abusive employers of the world.

VS
(haven't a clue what a "preceptor" is... sounds like it might be illegal. Laughing)
sunshinefiasco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A preceptor means TAing a college class while not teaching on your own, essentially. I didn't plan/teach college courses, I kept office hours/attended class/led simulations/guided students with their final projects.

While my Korean kids are dang wild, I appreciate the idea that my classroom management skills are of a different stripe than might be necessary (as well as the idea that grown-ups in the ME might not be interested in learning from a 24 year old (or is this the Korean influence creeping in?!).
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the disadvantages of being young is that often one gets no respect.

Don't worry... it will go away... in 10 or so years. Laughing

VS
caramelsweets

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my heart set on Oman but after searching through the boards I'm not sure I have the proper qualifications either.

I'm a bit older than the OP(31), B.A. in Political Science, CELTA, and 4.5 years teaching in Korea (elementary students/tutoring adults). I'm done with Korea, I want/need a change of scenery and I have no desire to teach in another East Asian country. My plan was to go to Oman work on my M.Ed. and try to get a better job in the ME from there.

Do I have a shot in Oman or any other M.E. country with a similar lifestyle?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a shot with Oman through the slightly shady recruiters. While it is not a perfect situation, they do normally pay dependably, if not a stellar amount. You just need the patience and sense of humor to cope with often inept management that makes mistakes and doesn't care about your opinions and ideas for improvement. Laughing

Your major problem is that your experience doesn't quite fit what they are looking for, so it will depend on their current shortfall in teachers... and whether they can shoehorn you through the Ministry's requirements for a visa. Emphasize the adults and any experience teaching Academic Reading and Writing. (but don't just make it up... sadly private lessons are quite different from teaching paragraph writing to a gang of intermediate level 18 year olds.)

If you can get past the Ministry, you should have a position that gives you enough free time to work on an online MA. All you can do is apply and see. The only other option might be Saudi Arabia, but all of the tolerable university level jobs for women teachers (with your screen name, I'm assuming female) require an MA in hand.

Your other option is bite the bullet and stay in Asia while you finish an MA.

VS
caramelsweets

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply VS!

I guess it doesn't hurt to apply and see what happens. I've ruled out KSA, I have a handful of friends there now and even the most optimistic of them are not painting a pretty picture.

As far as dealing with poor management and lack of input, well...that pretty much describes my last two years teaching in public school in Korea. I've got patience and sense of humor in spades!

I'm willing to tough it out for a year in Oman, let's just hope I can find employment.

Thanks again for your very useful advice Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck!!

Check out the ads that are usually running all over the net for these recruiters. And then come on here to read about good, bad and ugly of the various recruiters and locations. It's all a crapshoot. (but better than Saudi...)

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: