Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Anwar Modern School, and Salalah in general

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sethis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Al Anwar Modern School, and Salalah in general Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm currently teaching in the UK at a language school for the summer, having recently completed my CELTA this year. I had a student who gave me a business card for the above school, saying that his cousin who works there is looking for English teachers for the next academic year, starting in September, and recommended that I send them an email.

I have googled and searched these forums, but cannot find any mention of Al Anwar Modern school anywhere - I am simply assuming that it is very new, but obviously have no way of knowing. Does anyone recognize the name, or know anything about it?

Specifics of the school aside, the most recent comments about Salalah seem to be from 2014, can anyone update us as to what it is like to live there at the moment? I have never lived in the Middle East, just holidays to Egypt and Israel quite a few years ago, although of course I'm aware of Arabic culture in general, and about a third of my current students are from Saudi/Kuwait.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Al Anwar Modern School, and Salalah in general Reply with quote

Sethis wrote:
I have googled and searched these forums, but cannot find any mention of Al Anwar Modern school anywhere - I am simply assuming that it is very new, but obviously have no way of knowing.

It's probably Al Anwar Private School in Salalah. There's no specific website for it; it only shows up on maps, which isn't a good sign. If it's new, think twice about joining a start up unless you want to deal with disorganization, long hours, crazy demands, and just plan chaos. Wink

Anyway, it seems you'll have to email the contact person on the business card for info if you're interested.
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think that info from 2014 regarding Salalah might be 'outdated'?!! Shocked
Charlie123

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of the school you mentioned. If you are going to get a work visa, your employer should start right away. It takes months. I don't recommend coming without the proper visa. There are too many ways you can be mistreated if you are undocumented.

In Salalah, the private schools that are well-known include the British School, the Indian School, the Pakistani school and the International school. All of them have Facebook pages. I just noticed that the International school is hiring, according to their Facebook page.

Not everyone likes Salalah, but some expats absolutely love it. You can save a lot and live a very comfortable lifestyle.

No public transportation -- a major drawback if you don't like driving. If you have never driven in a Gulf country, it may take some getting used to.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry folks-no need to provide information about Salalah cos our OP isn't going there.....he/she's on the endless cycle of interviews that never seem to result in an offer. This time, in this online incarnation, waving a newly minted CELTA fresh off the ESL production line.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh?

Tazz wrote:
Don't worry folks-no need to provide information about Salalah cos our OP isn't going there.....he/she's on the endless cycle of interviews that never seem to result in an offer. This time, in this online incarnation, waving a newly minted CELTA fresh off the ESL production line.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz suspects that the original poster is a troll. They have been a constant for many months now... always asking similar questions... over and over again... while passing along misinformation.

Whether this is another incarnation isn't clear yet.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: