Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So you want to be a NET. . .
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brickholz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: So you want to be a NET. . . Reply with quote

Here's a little guide I wrote about how to be NET teacher in Hong Kong:

You Can Be a NET!

I signed my contract as a NET early last month. My memories of the whole process still sting -- it's awful. Maybe I can help you feel less awful about it.

In that link up there you'll find a walkthrough, and a slew of helpful documents to point you in the right direction.

Good luck securing the best TEFL job on Earth!
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this should be made into a sticky....along with a poster size statement along the lines of...."The EdB are a law unto themselves, and unless you apply, then don't ask on here what qualifications you need - WE DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW"
Perilla

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brickholz, looks like a good roundup - well done! My only comment, having had a quick shufty, is that you seem to have missed out QTS (qualified teacher status) from the qualification requirements, ie. unless you get lucky you need to be a certified teacher in your home country.
brickholz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Perilla -- glad you liked my post. Thanks for the kind words.

But as for Qualified Teacher Status. . .I actually know quite a few people who do NOT have QTS, but who have gotten into the NET scheme anyway.

The SNET program (for Secondary Teachers) has higher standards than the PNET program (for Primary), but neither one strictly requires that you have a teaching license, per se.

Obviously, QTS will go a long, long way, but I wouldn't call it a prerequisite. It's not listed on any of the EDB's requirements.
Perilla

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brickholz wrote:
Obviously, QTS will go a long, long way, but I wouldn't call it a prerequisite. It's not listed on any of the EDB's requirements.

But it is! Check it out (link below). For SNET, out of 7 possible qualifying categories, the first 5 (and therefore those most likely to be recruited) all require "a Post-graduate Diploma in Education majoring in English or equivalent", ie. QTS. In the UK this is called a PGCE, not a PGDE (certificate rather than diploma), but it's essentially the same thing. But no, it's not a prerequisite - the final 2 qualifying categories don't stipulate a PGDE or equivalent.

Consequently the vast majority of NETS have QTS. Yes, there are a reasonable number without QTS, mostly PNETs, but without QTS they're stuck at the bottom of the payscale (which is still quite good pay though!).

http://www.edb.gov.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=1301&langno=1
brickholz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see where I went wrong. I didn't quite understand the route from PGDE to QTS, until I read the Wiki about it.

The Wiki says that acquiring QTS is "a formality" done through the government, once you have a PGDE.

I thought that, once you get your PGDE, you have to do a practicum to get QTS. But I was wrong. It's much more effortless. All you need is a recommendation from your University.

So you're right, Pellica -- most NETs probably do have PGDEs (though I don't have any stats to back that up). And those who don't should try to be PNETs, rather than SNETs.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brickholz wrote:

The SNET program (for Secondary Teachers) has higher standards

No they don't - they hired me!!
GreenCardigan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should definitely made into a sticky! Very useful info. And the author of the site is even kind enough to respond to emails. So there you go.

Joshua, is there a community of SNETs and PNETs in Hong Kong? I mean, do you guys get together for social functions? There's a lot of information on the program, but I haven't heard if there's any sort of group or association of folks who act as a support network.
AngelaVNO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to stick my oar in, I have a UK PGCE but NOT QTS because I did a Post-Compulsory PGCE. I always stress that I don't have QTS but some people might not.

I mentioned this on my SNET application (and it's on my certificate of course) but I've still got through to the pool. If I get anywhere I'll let you know if it affects my salary. (I have a Cert. TEFL and MA as well).
Perilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelaVNO wrote:
Just to stick my oar in, I have a UK PGCE but NOT QTS because I did a Post-Compulsory PGCE. I always stress that I don't have QTS but some people might not.

I mentioned this on my SNET application (and it's on my certificate of course) but I've still got through to the pool. If I get anywhere I'll let you know if it affects my salary. (I have a Cert. TEFL and MA as well).

Good point. It's true that QTS and a professional teaching certificate (such as PGCE, PGDE etc) aren't the same, and in fact QTS is not mentioned as a specific requirement. It's the qualification that leads to QTS that's important (ie. a PGCE or a PGDE!).

But lack of QTS will affect your salary in the sense that if you don't have it you must be a novice teacher - which means you won't be getting salary increments for experience.
AngelaVNO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:
But lack of QTS will affect your salary in the sense that if you don't have it you must be a novice teacher - which means you won't be getting salary increments for experience.

That's what I have been worrying about, and if I do get work I'll be taking the QTS as soon as I can, not just for the money but also because it's better for the students if I have it. It's just a shame I can't do it over here (UK) but I haven't found anywhere I can teach ESOL in a school and work towards it.
Perilla

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelaVNO wrote:
Perilla wrote:

That's what I have been worrying about, and if I do get work I'll be taking the QTS as soon as I can, not just for the money but also because it's better for the students if I have it. It's just a shame I can't do it over here (UK) but I haven't found anywhere I can teach ESOL in a school and work towards it.

But ... some confusion here methinks. You don't "take" QTS - it's not a course. Don't you get QTS simply by completing a year's full-time teaching after getting your PGCE? Or is it two years? And why can't you do that in the UK?
GreenCardigan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla,

The way I read the EDB's requirements, as stated on their website, is that they require you to have a degree in Education. It doesn't say anything about Qualified Teacher Status.

Qualified Teacher Status itself is unclear. Here in Queensland, teachers who graduate from the education program apply to the Queensland College of Teachers and are listed as "pre-service" teachers, meaning less than two full years of teaching experience in high school. In my home province of Ontario, teachers become fully certified after a single year of teaching.

Once applying to the college of teachers, you're legally allowed to teach in the classroom whether you've just graduated or have been teaching for a number of years.

It sounds like the EDB is only concerned with the degree itself and not the registration with a teaching body per se.

Finally, you mentioned that those who are not registered with college of teachers in their home province/state would not be elligible for pay increases. Again, I thought I read the opposite, which is that you wouldn't be elligible for certain pay increases if you did not have that PGDE, quite different from "certified/registered status" with home college of teachers.
brickholz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenCardigan, I believe you're right about the pay-scale increases.

During my interview with the EDB, I asked them about what a PGDE does to your salary. They told me it removes the "ceiling" on your wages.

If you don't have the PGDE, you can get to Master Scale salary point 20, but no further.

For this year, that's HKD $30,025. Still not bad, if you're including the ~ HKD$16,859 special allowance!

So as far as I understand, you don't need to have "QTS" on your resume to remove that ceiling. Just the PGDE will do.

I'm sure the PGDE would be all you need to get recruited, as well.
Perilla

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GC and BH,

Yes there has been some confusion, partly caused by me. I thought I had clarified above but obviously not.

In the UK until a few years ago, having a PGCE/PGDE (or equivalent) effectively meant the same as having QTS. The qualification meant that you had professional status. Consequently, I am in the habit of referring to QTS and the PGCE as the same thing.

But they are not (or no longer) the same - now you don't get fully recognised (in the UK at least) as having QTS until you've got a year or two's post-qualification experience under your belt.

For the NET programme QTS is NOT necessary, but a PGCE/PGDE is highly desirable. What I meant with regard to the increments for NET is that if you have only just passed your PGCE then you can't possibly have much in the way of post-qualification experience, so you won't be jumping up the pay scale.

Without making more of a meal of it, NET qualifications and pay terms could be summarised thus:

Ideally, applicants should be qualified teachers, and the more post-qualification experience you have the more you will be paid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: