Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So you want to be a NET. . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bread man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's really helpful. Smile
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need others' answers to this question:

How would you design a reading program for a class of mixed-level 5th graders?
dackinator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small question about the NET application process which I couldn't find on the EDB website - would I physically need to be in the UK to complete it? In particular for the visa process, if I would need to make any physical embassy visits?

I'm considering applying to start in August 2013, and teaching elsewhere in the meantime (Taiwan or mainland China).
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can send in your application from anywhere as you won't be going to any embassy prior to arrival anyways....the visa is done once you are here, and have left and come back again.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this a good job (not being sarcastic or rude) do they pay airfare and housing? Because when I saw it I was shocked at how low the pay is. The top is is starting salary for teachers in the US and Canada and the bottom pay is just a bit above what you'd earn working for Starbucks.
If the hours are really short then I can see it or if you're sort of assisting the local teacher then maybe for to work all day as a regular classroom teacher for such low pay?? What's the deal,am I missing something?
sistercream

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing of pay in the USA, but I do know that NETs in the EdB scheme do get special a allowances to cover airfares, housing & suchlike.
A couple of other things to factor in is that HK's maximum income tax rate is 15% flat (and I doubt that any NETs fall into the top bracket), no sales tax apart from a *sin tax* on tobacco >30% proof liquor, no need to run a car, and public health care is good enough that medical insurance is strictly optional.

That's not going into the lifestyle issues that make HK attractive to many - personal safety, easy to get along with only English, rural & urban areas in close proximity, brilliant public transport, ease of getting to the rest of the world, and whatever else.
Perilla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
What's the deal,am I missing something?

I suspect you are - probably the special allowance at least. The special allowance adds 17K to whatever your salary is. So, even if you're on the bottom rung of the NET pay scale (ie. no QTS, little or no experience) your pay will be around 35K per month, and as Sistercream points out, tax is pretty low here.

But most NETs have QTS and experience, so I'd hazard a guess there aren't many on less than 45K a month, and those NETs at the top of the scale (like my missus) are taking home over 70K. Add to this flights home every second year and a 15% (or is it 17%?) gratuity paid every two years, and I'd say it beats the hell out of most teaching jobs in the US, UK, Oz, etc. The downside is that the job itself can be a real drag, as has been copiously pointed out in other threads.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:
Ixchel wrote:
What's the deal,am I missing something?

I suspect you are - probably the special allowance at least. The special allowance adds 17K to whatever your salary is. So, even if you're on the bottom rung of the NET pay scale (ie. no QTS, little or no experience) your pay will be around 35K per month, and as Sistercream points out, tax is pretty low here.

But most NETs have QTS and experience, so I'd hazard a guess there aren't many on less than 45K a month, and those NETs at the top of the scale (like my missus) are taking home over 70K. Add to this flights home every second year and a 15% (or is it 17%?) gratuity paid every two years, and I'd say it beats the hell out of most teaching jobs in the US, UK, Oz, etc. The downside is that the job itself can be a real drag, as has been copiously pointed out in other threads.

Ah, ok, what is the bonus, I looked a while ago on the govt website and didn't see that. Could you direct me to a thread about teaching conditions? I couldn't find one. The first thing I thought when I saw the job was that the pay wasn't great but that the job was probably easy. I guess I was wrong.
Perilla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
Ah, ok, what is the bonus, I looked a while ago on the govt website and didn't see that. Could you direct me to a thread about teaching conditions? I couldn't find one. The first thing I thought when I saw the job was that the pay wasn't great but that the job was probably easy. I guess I was wrong.

There is no "bonus" - but there is a gratuity (as I mentioned above), which amounts to the same thing I suppose. There are plenty of threads about NET teaching conditions in this HK forum - just take a look. Basically conditions vary hugely from school to school. Some NETs are worked like dogs, others have nothing to do; some are in top band English-medium schools, others are in schools where virtually nobody can string an English sentence togther.
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:
Basically conditions vary hugely from school to school. Some NETs are worked like dogs, others have nothing to do; some are in top band English-medium schools, others are in schools where virtually nobody can string an English sentence togther.

Perilla writes the truth. There is no standard working condition in the NET scheme. You get lucky or you get screwed. the best advice for you is to post the school name on the PNETs Forum to see if any current NETs will give you some feedback about that school or principal.
gonsdad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, new to the boards.

I'm currently on the JET Programme in Japan and am considering applying for NET, but not sure what my chances are.

I've a Bachelor's degree (though it's titled "Master of Arts" as it's from an old and quite well regarded UK uni - might fool them into thinking I've a Masters), plus a Postgraduate Diploma in Business, plus 2 years on the JET Programme. Even though I'm an ALT on Jet, as I work at a Senior High School I have to plan and create all my own lessons and so have quite a big portfolio of my own work. I've no TEFL qualification at the moment.

From what I gather I'm illegible for the Primary NET scheme, but eligible for the bottom pay scale on Secondary, which still seems pretty good and comparable to what I get in Japan. Does anyone have any idea if my application would be a long shot though? Or would I stand a good chance? I'd need to accept or decline contract renewal on JET before turning in my NET application so would like an idea of the risks before deciding to apply or not.
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonsdad wrote:
Does anyone have any idea if my application would be a long shot though? Or would I stand a good chance? I'd need to accept or decline contract renewal on JET before turning in my NET application so would like an idea of the risks before deciding to apply or not.

My guess is you'd have a chance, though not a great one, of getting onto the primary or secondary NET scheme, but it's completely unpredictable and you have no chance of knowing without applying. However, it would be very risky packing your current job in - even if you succeed you won't know for sure until late July at the earliest and many NETs don't know what's happening until sometime in August, just a week or two before they're expected to start. The best thing would be to apply but keep hold of your current job.
gonsdad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

In terms of improving my chances, about all I could do would be get TEFL qualified and do a 3rd year on JET giving me more practical experience, would this be worth it for NET or is it getting onto the programme too much of a gamble to base any serious plans on?
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonsdad wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

In terms of improving my chances, about all I could do would be get TEFL qualified and do a 3rd year on JET giving me more practical experience, would this be worth it for NET or is it getting onto the programme too much of a gamble to base any serious plans on?

Apply now. If the reject you, ask why. Then you know where to aim your efforts before you apply again.
Apophis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if any knows... How often do NETs without a PGDE/PGCE earn one while in Hong Kong to move up the pay scale or to become better teachers?

This is what I'm hoping to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: