Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photocopied textbooks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flicka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Photocopied textbooks Reply with quote

How legal is it for them to photocopy a chunk of a grammar textbook, design a front cover with EF Grammar class or however they call that course of lessons and bung that on the front, bind it and sell it to the students? Seems kinda dodgy to me! For each level, you get the next chunk of the original textbook, photocopied and with a front cover with the new level written on it. Even though I've been here for ten months and it's only now occurring to me to question this! Does it happen elsewhere or is this unique practice to the school I'm at?
jaybet3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal? Who knows. Ethical? Certainly not if the students are paying full tuition for the course.

At the school where I work, the students get new books but the teachers work from photocopied books.
Georgeisnthere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen several in my time here. The most popular seems to be the Market Leader series used for business English.
mr fred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's as illegal as it is common but no one cares.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this done many times when I was a university student in Canada and the US. Who knows if my professors got the proper copyright permission to bind and then sell these to us? I wouldn't lose sleep on this one.

I am not in the country, but on a related topic, how prevalent is illegal copying of CD and DVD in Indonesia? Heard it was most prevalent in China, but I saw a lot of this first hand when I lived in New York City.
godmachine12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely used books that weren't photocopied. We used to photocopy the photocopied books�especially if we came across a good one�cause we couldn't find anything else. Even if we did, it was too expensive for the school to purchase or not available.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr fred wrote:
It's as illegal as it is common but no one cares.

The copyrights for the books are supposed to extend almost everywhere, but who's around to stop it or enforce it in developing countries.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done legally in Western countries by agreement between publishers and schools.
I expect in Asia such niceties are not observed.
The per student fee is in dispute currently in NZ - see:
http://www.ajpark.com/media-centre/2013/03/copyright-tribunal-to-hear-dispute-over-photocopied-university-course-books/
SiThep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last place I worked at in Thailand was full of badly photocopied copies of Headway. The teacher's book copies were so bad you could barely read them. It is as often a nuisance for the teacher and class quite apart from any legal issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: