Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EF East Jakarta and Bekasi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotrob66

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: EF East Jakarta and Bekasi Reply with quote

Hi there,
I have the possibility of a job with EF in Bekasi and East Jakarta. Was wondering if anyone had worked in these schools and could give any advice about working there and living in the area.
chezal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bekasi isn't Jakarta it's a satallite town. Bekasi is a horrible place. It's hot and doesn't really offer a lot in way of things to do. My friend used to come and stay with me once a week in Jakarta just to escape Bekasi and stop her going mad with boredom. It's quite a journey to the main part of Jakarta an hour without traffic. 2 hours plus with traffic. Depending where you the school is located you have limited transport options. You'll need to get a motorbike.

Of the 2 east Jakarta is the better option although if it was me I would hold out for a better location. Either in South Jakarta or out of Jakarta completely. Somewhere like Bandung. Your EF salary would go much further out of jkt.
scotrob66

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. The schools are located in Bekasi, Cikarang and Kalimlang (not sure about spelling of last one). It doesn't sound too appealing. The idea of driving a motorbike in the madness of Indonesian traffic fills me with horror to be honest with you. Still, beggars can't be choosers.
Cheers anyway
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotrob66 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. The schools are located in Bekasi, Cikarang and Kalimlang (not sure about spelling of last one). It doesn't sound too appealing. The idea of driving a motorbike in the madness of Indonesian traffic fills me with horror to be honest with you. Still, beggars can't be choosers.
Cheers anyway

Maybe not, but there are EFs in much better and central locations. EF Central Jakarta has four or five branches and EF Kelapa Gading have three I think; they would be much better bets. I've spoken to EF Kalimalang teachers before and they're all itching to get out of the place.
mr fred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The language mills tend to offer a low salary with long hours.
Make sure the place will sort out the work permit and visa.
Some places let you work illegally.
princesss

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a long comparison between EF and TBI Bekasi posted by a teacher who had worked at both on the TBI Language School blog. The teacher concluded that EF Bekasi was by far the better school so maybe EF Bekasi wldnt be too bad. TBI Bekasi is the worst of all TBI schools and may actually be a bit of a nightmare. On the down side one of their teachers was arrested for drug poseession in Feb. This might have had a bad impact on morale.

Last edited by princesss on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
alicantik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a copy of their working terms and conditions you would have to be desperate to work here!
princesss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alicantik wrote:
I just got a copy of their working terms and conditions you would have to be desperate to work here!

Ok then. Can you please share a few examples of what these nasty terms and conditions are? I think people would prefer to read the conditions themselves than accept someone else's value judgment about them. Thanks.
jef dam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would venture a guess that the following clauses, or some variation, feature prominently in the contract -

7-8.5 juta per month.
32 - 38 Saturdays a year.
$100 worth of out-patient cover / 75% in-patient cover refunded.
Single entry visa which requires a pro-rated deposit to be left in the event that you wish / need to leave the country.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jef dam wrote:
I would venture a guess that the following clauses, or some variation, feature prominently in the contract -

7-8.5 juta per month.
32 - 38 Saturdays a year.
$100 worth of out-patient cover / 75% in-patient cover refunded.
Single entry visa which requires a pro-rated deposit to be left in the event that you wish / need to leave the country.

What's the difference between an "educated guess" and an "unsupported accusation"? Very little in this case I imagine. It would be nice if someone could clarify the matter without guesswork.
jef dam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked for EF in the past, I know people who have worked in that particular branch, and EF's employment terms are pretty widely known in Indonesia.

If I'm wide of the mark I stand to be corrected.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jef dam wrote:
I've worked for EF in the past, I know people who have worked in that particular branch, and EF's employment terms are pretty widely known in Indonesia.

If I'm wide of the mark I stand to be corrected.

Okaaayyy. So to get them this clear, you ventured a guess as to the employment conditions even though you knew people (plural) who have worked there? What you didn't ever discuss conditions with any of these "people"? You didn't think to check with these "people" before you posted a guess as to what the conditions are? Are you sure you aren't just making this stuff up as you go?
jef dam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, EF's terms are well established, I have personal experience with the company and anecdotal evidence of the same from past employees. I'm open to correction.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be really useful is actually sms-ing these people and asking them the facts rather than "venturing guesses". Just saying.
jef dam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleycooper wrote:
Indonesia is now becoming a very 'low pay' country. There are more and more jobs in China paying 8000-1000 yuan a month- that equates to around the Rp 13 juta to Rp 15 juta range, which is about twice what the bottom end of Indonesian EFs is offering. You need to ask yourself do you really want to be in Indonesia in particular, as the money is not good there by international standards. As long as you have a pulse you will get 35.000 baht in Thailand, which is 30% more than you have been offered by EF Indonesia. It depends how much you want to be in this country in particular. If you don't have a special reason, you have more lucrative options elsewhere.

bradleycooper wrote:
My bad. But if the Chinese can offer 8.000- 10.000 yuan all over the big cities, Indonesia is once again looking very shabby in the pay stakes. EF hasn't offered a serious pay increase to its teachers in almost a decade and costs have been increasing by around 10% a year. The EF 'mills', as Bule calls them, are making ever more money off the labor of the lowly EFL teacher

bradleycooper wrote:
Have to agree with jef Dam. Have heard from multiple sources that the owner of EF Central Jakarta (inc. the new one in Kuningan) has sent both her kids to school at Harvard. We are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition right there. EF is actually a very successful business model, which enables some of its franchise owners to make enormous profits off its lowly paid teachers. You can complain about it and call it unfair but they are killing the competition especially TBI who just can't compete. Where are the new TBI schools?

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/showthread.php/31934-English-First/page2

Just sayin'.

Last edited by jef dam on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: