Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exactly how conservative is Eastern Turkey?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
betacygnus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post deleted

Last edited by betacygnus on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
cartago

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headline says honor killings account for half of Turkey's murders but further down they amend that and say it's 200 out of 4,400 murders a year. This was in Kahta in Adıyaman. There's a big difference between the villages and the cities.
cartago

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing in Malatya, all I can say is that in my experience Turks are normally tolerant of Christians as long as they're not seen to be proselytizing.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cartago wrote:
The other thing in Malatya, all I can say is that in my experience Turks are normally tolerant of Christians as long as they're not seen to be proselytizing.

And as long as they're not one of the few remaining resident Christians who descended from those that inhabited the land long before the Turks turned up.

According to Dalrymple, the dispossession of the Christians is unique in that it represents a subject over which the Kurds and Turks of Eastern Turkey can actually agree.
cartago

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know when the last time he wandered through Turkey was or what exactly he's referring to, the Genocide or more recent things.

If the subject is how much this affects expats in Turkey, it doesn't much unless they're trying to convert people.
�zcan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cartago wrote:
The headline says honor killings account for half of Turkey's murders but further down they amend that and say it's 200 out of 4,400 murders a year. This was in Kahta in Adıyaman. There's a big difference between the villages and the cities.

Don't worry, there are much more rape and murder cases in the West and especially the U.S. than in Turkey. Turkey doesn't even come close.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the emoticon for grroooaaaannnnn ?
cartago

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about murder but that may be true. With rape I don't believe it. For one thing rape is more difficult to define sometimes and may be under-reported. When we see that Sweden is near the top for number of reported rapes and some Middle Eastern countries near the bottom this doesn't mean that Sweden actually has a lot more rape.

This is anecdotal I admit but one of my Turkish friends told me that rape is often not taken seriously by police in Turkey.
delal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially as there's a prevailing attitude of "it's the girl's/woman's fault anyway".
Ohms33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have been living in Gaziantep for the past 3 months and I can tell you it has changed considerably. In terms of the largest cities in Turkey it is the 6th largest, but probably the most conservative due to its proximity to the Middle East.

However women can walk around freely without being harassed, and people dress in a very modern westernised way.

In Ramadan not all the people fast and you can see people eating and drinking during the day. Something you would rarely see in the Middle East. And Alcohol is widely available.

Gaziantep is changing, there are now 3 universities, soon to be a fourth all with foreign language departments that employ overseas EFL teachers. There are also 2 well know private language schools. Wall Street located in Sanko Park, a huge modern shopping centre with a cinema that plays movies in English, and American Culture.

However this big thing that is changing is the number of foreigners arriving here. Basically because of the Syrian war, all the NGO's and UN have set up here in Gaziantep to deal with the refugees. So when you pop to Bayazhan, where they have an English pub you will be bound to bump into foreign international aid workers.

I have a found it an interesting place to be so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: