Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How 'different' is Turkey?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neverheardofem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: How 'different' is Turkey? Reply with quote

OK,I know that this probably seems like a ridiculous question, but I am genuinely wondering about this! I have taught in a few Asian countries and loved the experience of being in a completely different culture. However, I also worked in Spain for a bit and while I enjoyed the teaching, I found myself feeling quite bored with the lack of culture shock and the similarities between the country and my own (Ireland)

I am now thinking of a move to Turkey and wondering if it will be weird enough for me!

Any thoughts?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is weird enough in its own ways. Possibly not as much as the Far East was for you. But then again, probably not much more than Leitrim.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Describing it as "different" is a bit of a major understatement. No doubt you will have done some research (hopefully) on the place and will have gained some perspective from others, but its your own that really counts. Personally I think you will enjoy it, warts and all, but just be aware they do things differently here, and you will too if you stay long enough. Other comments will arrive soon, some positive, some otherwise, don't listen to any of it, just jump in and see if you can swim!
cartago

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few people speak English and outside of, I suppose a few Mediterranean cities and Istanbul the expat community is very limited. Even in places with a big expat community and Istanbul the foreign to local ratio is pretty small. I doubt it will be much like Spain which people often say is over saturated with British expats, not sure if that's true.

I wouldn't say it's as weird as East Asia though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: