Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

applying "in person" for a job questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruggededge

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: applying "in person" for a job questions Reply with quote

Hi,

I am an American planning to move to Taiwan in early August to teach English. Originally I wanted to secure a job before leaving the US, but from what I hear, it's much easier to get work by applying in person, on-site at the school. Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.
Also, if I go this route, will I be able to get a work permit then once I get a job? How does this work?
Finally, I will be arriving in Taiwan after a 2-week visit in England. Will I have any trouble getting into Taiwan not coming directly from USA? Do I need a tourist visa? Thanks.

Steve
atreyue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve - I'll try to answer your questions 1 by 1.

Quote:
I am an American planning to move to Taiwan in early August to teach English. Originally I wanted to secure a job before leaving the US, but from what I hear, it's much easier to get work by applying in person, on-site at the school. Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Ok, one question with a million different opinions. Some people do come to Taiwan and walk the beat looking for jobs, canvassing employers and putting their resumes out there - and it does work. But I wouldn't recommend it - here's why.

1.) The first thing you will need to do Steve is get yourself a visa BEFORE you leave the United Stated to travel to the UK. You'll have to apply at a local TECO office or mail away for the visa. Now, you'll most likely be granted a 30/60 day visitor visa. DO NOT come to Taiwan on a landing visa - as this will only cause you to go back out of the country to obtain a visitors visa after the 14-days.

2.) Ok, visitor visa in hand - you will have 30/60 days to find employment. If after that period of time (which seems improbable) that you can't find employment then you will have to do a 'visa run' to hong kong (which basically means you take the 10:30 p.m. red-eye from Taipei to HKG, turn around and fly the 12:10 back to Taipei and you get another 30/60 days)
BTW, I know that Hess will 'pre-hire' you before you come to Taiwan and will do all your ARC processing. Maybe worth checking out if you want to teach kids.

3.) AFTER you secure employment - the employer will begin the necessary paperwork for you to get your ARC. (Something you might want to do while you're looking for work is jaunt off to the local hospital and pay the $1700 for a medical check that takes about 1 week to get back). IF the employer says that you should start working BEFORE your ARC is done WALK AWAY. The consequences of you getting caught working without documentation may result in your immediate deportation and banishment from La Isla Formosa.

Ok, ARC in hand - your visa will be transfered over to work eligible, see the local INS office (you'll get all of this through the ARC process)

Quote:
Finally, I will be arriving in Taiwan after a 2-week visit in England. Will I have any trouble getting into Taiwan not coming directly from USA? Do I need a tourist visa? Thanks.

You shouldn't have a problem entering Taiwan as long as your visa originated in the USA before you travel to the UK.

Hope this helps.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only part of atreyue's answers that I question is this one:

atreyue wrote:

IF the employer says that you should start working BEFORE your ARC is done WALK AWAY. The consequences of you getting caught working without documentation may result in your immediate deportation and banishment from La Isla Formosa.

It is perfectly normal to begin work while your ARC is being processed and before it is 'done'. It can take a few weeks - around a month- to get health check results, work permit issued and ARC processed. If you walk away from every employer who wants you to work while your ARC is being prepared you will probably have a very difficult time finding employment in Taiwan.

Is it technically illegal?
Yes.

Does everybody do it anyways?
Yes.

Welcome to Taiwan ....
globalgourmand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamahuh wrote:
The only part of atreyue's answers that I question is this one:

atreyue wrote:
IF the employer says that you should start working BEFORE your ARC is done WALK AWAY...

It is perfectly normal to begin work while your ARC is being processed and before it is 'done'.

Thanks for this clarification, yamahuh. This was the one thing that seemed impossible to follow of atreyue's generous advice.

So, I've already applied for a 60-day visa, I'll be arriving mid-August w/resumes in hand and will get on that health check promptly. I've read a lot about what to watch out for when job hunting, what about the signs of a GOOD kindy or buxiban for us non state-certified teachers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: