Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something I'm curious about regarding Kazakhstan...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Something I'm curious about regarding Kazakhstan... Reply with quote

Every so often I look at ads for jobs in other Turkic-speaking countries on a lark. Of course I never find anything that appeals to me and I'm qualified to do, but I've noticed something about Kazakhstan: the jobs which post details generally seem to require as much experience as the Gulf States, but pay less than Turkey or Russia (by contrast the largely hydrocarbon deficient countries in the rest of Central Asia are less finicky, whereas Azerbaijan is just as picky but pays almost as much as the Gulf).

And yet I never see these jobs reposted (as I often see for jobs in Turkey), which would seem to indicate that they always find their native speaker with an MA TESOL and 3+ years' experience or whatnot willing to work for 1000 dollars/month. Is there some secret appeal of Kazakhstan that I'm missing? Are they required by law to seek native speakers with impressive quals, before just hiring a local who's lived in London or summat for half the price? Really, what's the deal with these jobs?

Confused,
~Q
kazpat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of NU, international schools or oil companies I usually see BA + TEFL Cert on the jobs advertised. Of course DELTA / MA is preferred. Recently the 1000 USD or so a month salaries at the larger schools went up to around 1250 - 1400 USD on the average. I guess I don't see what you are seeing. Anyone with a MA or DELTA + 3 years experience is at a place like NU making a lot more than 1k. I actually think KZ has some of the highest pay in CA.
ComradeBL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the conversations I've had w/ Kazaks, the impression I get is that the petro companies all pay really well. However, that is in the European part of KZ, & PRC is literally in my backyard.

I'm interested to hear where you're getting your leads, too...
jonniboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a degree really necessary for working there? I've also had a look at Almaty recently. How much is flat rental there usually?
ComradeBL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seem to be plenty of jobs available for native English speakers, especially for doing private students. I get asks to take on private students all the time.

I hear that rent runs close to $1000 USD / mth, but a rom to rent is much cheaper.

As, far as education goes, I got no clue. Most Kazakhs have a degree, so I would assume you would need one, too...
jonniboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComradeBL wrote:
As, far as education goes, I got no clue. Most Kazakhs have a degree, so I would assume you would need one, too...

I dunno about that. It's pretty common in all the former USSR countries for virtually everyone you speak to to have a degree but in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and the Baltics at least that doesn't translate into a demand for English teachers to have a degree. I'd be surprised if it was required in Kazkhstan but I've been sending a few speculative CVs off there recently and am wondering if it's worth my while sending any more since I didn't finish my Uni course. Anyone know?
jonniboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've an interview coming up in Almaty so obviously the lack of degree (which I made clear in an email) wasn't so much of a problem.
White ice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kazpat wrote:
Outside of NU.

what is an NU?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NU is the new university in Astana - Nazarbayev University.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: