Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Documents/Advice/How to prepare from far away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunshinefiasco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Documents/Advice/How to prepare from far away Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm looking advice for jobs in LA (duh), documents and how to plan from really far away.

For reference: I'm 24, I have a non-Eng/Ed BA, will have 2 years of experience in a Korean middle school by the time I'm over there, a brick-and-mortar 180-hour TESOL, and I speak Spanish (I wouldn't say fluently, but I'm more than proficient). I previously spent a semester in Cochabamba/Santa Cruz Bolivia (about 3 years ago, still in college). After this contract (actually starting more late spring/summer of 2013), I'd like to do some traveling around South America and eventually get a job somewhere (my heart is in Bolivia, but I've been considering Peru/Colombia/Mexico, though I'm open to anything.)

I know LA, outside of international schools, generally doesn't hire online. What I'm curious about:

What kind of gig am I qualified for? Could I get a uni job?
I know salaries are low, but what's an unacceptably low amount, more or less?
What documents should I bring with me (TESOL cert and..)?
How much/what planning can I do from my desk in Korea (a question now that summer vacation has nearly arrived)?
Any country specific tips?

Thanks guys!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no masters and no uni teaching experience you won't be in demand a uni level. However, rules are generally flexible and if you are in the right place at the right time, or have the right connections you may still get hired. You'd be fine at language schools. Most places won't be interested in your Spanish skills, but they may help when you are knocking on doors handing your resume in.

Salaries: that's impossible to answer, you'd need to at least narrow it down to a country.

Documents: again, it depends on the country and what kind of visa you are looking for. The minimum will usually be your BA & TESOL certs, and obviously your passport. It could extend to health certificates and criminal record checks. These things often have a usable window of a few months, so there is no point arranging them now. Certs may need to be apostilled.

Planning: not a lot to be honest. Read up as much as you can on the various countries and try to narrow things down a bit. Check out the flight costs, it will be a big chunk of your start-up costs and may influence where you decide to start looking first.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Documents/Advice/How to prepare from far away Reply with quote

sunshinefiasco wrote:

What kind of gig am I qualified for? Could I get a uni job?
I know salaries are low, but what's an unacceptably low amount, more or less?
What documents should I bring with me (TESOL cert and..)?
How much/what planning can I do from my desk in Korea (a question now that summer vacation has nearly arrived)?
Any country specific tips?

A wide variety of gigs. In Mexico you could get a job in private K-12 school that is not English medium, nor bilingual (those will want people with a Ed degree), but teaches EFL as an add on subject. Or you could get a job in a language institute. Or possibly a university, it depends on who else has applied for the same position.
Like HLJHLJ said, unacceptably low varies around the region because cost of living varies around the region. In Mexico you will be wanting to make at least 10,000 Mexican pesos a month.
You should bring your TESOL cert and your BA if you come to Mexico and they need to be Apostilled.
If you are really interested in Mexico--read the Mexico forums from your desk in Korea.

You said your heart is in Bolivia. Previous to coming to Mexico I'd lived in Chile (as a student) and Ecuador (as a teacher/student) and visited Peru and Argentina. I felt like I was really an Ande-o-phile. I decided to look for a job in Mexico because I wanted to expand my knowledge of Latin-America in general I felt like Mexico was kind of a whole in my experience. I never expected it to reach out and grab me the way it has. Mexico is enchanting.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got hired at age 22 at a uni in Peru. A well respected one as well. Had no MA and no uni teaching experience at the time. I found out about it through DAve's.

I was paid $700 and that's still what they pay no nearly 10 years later.
As for docs, bring everything you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: