Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thailand for a 4 month stint?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
embb123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Thailand for a 4 month stint? Reply with quote

I have read many of the posts and understand that January is not the best time to look for a teaching position. I have about 4 months between my current job and my next adventure though, so I thought it might be worth a shot.

What kind of positions would be my best bets? I am a certified US teacher with 10 years experience in the classroom and also have my CELTA and a year in Korea. I know that the school year begins in May which is precisely when I need to leave.

Would it make sense to try public schools? Or would language schools be my best bet. I am not worried about the salary too much. I would just like to keep busy and see a bit of Thailand before heading back to the states.

Should I make my time frame known to potential employers or is it alright to give a couple of weeks notice? It seems from what I have read that things are a bit looser there than here in Korea regarding visas and changing jobs...

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join the rest of the back-packers down on Koh Sarn Road who are doing the same thing to extend their stay in the tropical sun.

By and large, schools won't want/need you since there are likely less than 30 instruction days left in the academic year by the time you start looking for work and their focus will be on prep for the year end exams and not a "conversation" teacher.

You may find part-time work in a language academy but it won't come with a visa or work permit attached (meaning you need a real tourist visa (60-day double entry) in your passport when you land and will need a border run at the mid point).

Good luck, you're going to need it.

embb123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...at my age I think I would look a little silly as a backpacker.

I guess my idea of looking for a short term teaching position is not realistic. I thought it might be possible to find something for January to May. I am going back to the US in May for my daughter's college graduation and then will begin at an international school in July. I guess I shall stick to my original plan and extend my contract here in Korea for a few months and visit Thailand for my December vacation.

Thanks.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand is for professionals. You could actually muck up your plans for teaching in your future international school by coming and teaching here. Extending your teaching a few months in Korea sounds like a better thing to do. Your International school might want to know how your teaching in Thailand was. They might want to talk to someone from your Thai School, which I would not want period if I were you. They might want to know what you did for 4 months in the LOS (land of sin). And there's plenty of other things that could happen to you. Also teaching in Thailand can be very unpleasant, they have a completely different set of ethics. If things go bad, like with some people, you could be set back on money and not even make it to your job at your prospective future International School.

Then on the other hand you could fall in love with a Thai woman and end out being hired by a lower tier International School here in Thailand. Laughing I wouldn't recommend a Thai woman though. Thais are too different from any other group of people to realistically form any kind of a good relationship outside of you providing resources, unless you are lucky.
embb123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight. I was mostly looking to avoid another cold winter but it's not worth it to screw things up.

Falling in love with a Thai woman would be unlikely...I always figured if I decided to "play for the other team" it would be with a tall blonde Scandinavian. Laughing
vashdown2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st of all, congrats on landing a job in an International School for the fall.

Just wanted to say, I think the advice that teaching in Thailand would somehow spoil your 10 year teaching career is absolute rubbish.

On the other hand, it would probably be hard to find a short-term gig there, so probably better to go as a Tourist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: