Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary in Turkey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amisexy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Salary in Turkey Reply with quote

Hey,

I have just been offered a job in Turkey.

The salary is 875 Lira per month, plus shared accommodation.
The employment offer says they will get a legal visa. There are 32 teaching hours per week :/

Is this a crap contract? The salary seems very low considering it provides no extras like flights, insurances etc.

Should I tell them where to shove their offer, considering the time I wasted?
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the lowest offer I have seen in Turkey for years...do not accept it and tell them to shove it.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus!
That works out to about six lira/hour. You can make more than that picking apples in the United States, or doing pretty much anything anywhere outside the world's poorest countries (which Turkey certainly isn't among).

I had an experience with a school that paid 12 lira per contact hour and I thought that was insanely, insultingly low. I almost feel like I owe that school an apology now.

Standard rate in Istanbul is 20-30 lira/contact hour, outside of Istanbul generally 15-25.

Regards,
~Q
billy orr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that really takes the biscuit. Cleaners earn more than that, and I'm not talking about istanbul. But I would never recommend responding in a rude way when you reject the offer, it is always best to maintain one's own dignity, manners, sang froid, stiff upper lip or whatever. Q is right about the rates. Noone should accept less than 15TL per hour anywhere.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL salaries will continue to drop in Turkey as well as benefits...this trend has been going on for years and is mailnly due to the massive unemployment of westerners in their own respective countries. The tens of thousands native speaking EFL teachers looking for jobs overseas...especially from the UK and North America...will unfortunately keep TEFL salaries in Turkey low for decades to come! Rolling Eyes
wander&teach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Decades" is quite a stretch, but the general trend for salaries and benefits in teaching overseas in the next few years will more than likely be stagnant in the majority of countries. I have seen economies turn on a dime in either direction. The best defense is having the ability to present good qualifications and provide excellent services to your employer. If you can deliver on these two items there will always be a market for you regardless of the economy.
Shalana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Turkey for 5 years now. Even with free shared housing, no one should offer you less than 1500 lira per month. And 32 contact hours? That is crazy. Even Turkish teachers who teach English get overtime pay for over 30 hours (at least at the uni level). I've actually never heard of anyone being asked to teach more than 30 hours per week unless a co-worker was out ill. Most jobs will say 24-26 teaching hours per week.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed teaching 32 contact hours a week for a pittance is crazy....but unfortunately this is the way things are today in Turkey as an EFL teacher. Again this is due to EFL market economics and the fact that there is a huge army of mostly young, unemployed native speaking EFL teachers in the west who can't find work in their own respective countries. Surprised
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle Eyes wrote:
Agreed teaching 32 contact hours a week for a pittance is crazy....but unfortunately this is the way things are today in Turkey as an EFL teacher. Again this is due to EFL market economics and the fact that there is a huge army of mostly young, unemployed native speaking EFL teachers in the west who can't find work in their own respective countries. Surprised

No. This isn't normal. They've clearly decided the OP is a bit naive and are trying to see what they can get away with.

From your posts you seem to have an unusually pessimistic view of Turkey, Eagle Eyes. Like I said: a minimum of 15 lira/contact hour outside of Istanbul, 20 lira/contact hour in it, even if you're just starting out. With more experience and/or an MA, you can aim a bit higher.

Don't accept anything less under any circumstances.

~Q
Yogita

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Rediculous offer! Reply with quote

that's awful, run! LOL

Native speaker salaries range from minimum hrs 1000usd/month part time - 2,500 usd/month full time. The average is 1500-1700usd & they should always give accommodation. Negotiate with them a bit more.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rediculous offer! Reply with quote

Yogita wrote:
that's awful, run! LOL

Native speaker salaries range from minimum hrs 1000usd/month part time - 2,500 usd/month full time. The average is 1500-1700usd & they should always give accommodation. Negotiate with them a bit more.

No, don't negotiate with them. They're clearly kalitesiz pi�ler. Your first instinct was correct Yogita: amisexy should run far and fast.

~Q
sixthchild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name them, Shame them!
amisexy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed them and asked if they meant 1875 Lira. They replied saying that it was indeed 875 Lira and that it was 'amongst the highest salaries for EFL teachers in Turkey'.

I don't want to give too much away, but it was one of the Dilko schools not too far away from Istanbul.
Yogita

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amisexy that offer is only acceptable if it's part time. If we start lowering our standards we're all screwed.

Here's a job I posted where they are really in need of native speaker, it's in Adiyaman. They offer housing too & it's a cheap city to live in compared to Istanbul. http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=97521 It is not too much better in compensation though. The job is mostly to teach adults who want conversational classes. I'm sure you'll still have to do lessons in grammar etc but at a minimum. It's always good to have an interview at least via Skype, you never know they may offer you more at this point.
coffeespoonman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's insane! Even the parking attendants on the street in Istanbul make 900 a month (or so I discovered during one particularly chatty, rakı-induced meander down the streets of Kadik�y).

Is it really getting that bad in Turkey?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: