Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

APARTMENT NEAR ON NUT BTS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orozcom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: APARTMENT NEAR ON NUT BTS? Reply with quote

Hello I'm looking for an apartment near the On Nut BTS or near 1000 Moo.5 Srinakarin Rd. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on a studio for around $6,000 baht a month? Any suggestions or information would be much appreciated. I would be looking to sign a six month lease.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need at least Baht 12.000 Month for a decdnt furnished studio apartment in the area. For Baht 6.000 per month you might consider living outside the BKK metroplitan area. BKK inner city accomodation is becoming expensive...mostly because landlords have become very greedy for farang money. Good luck in your search! Smile
orozcom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: On Nut APT Reply with quote

Hey Eagle Eyes,
Thanks so much for the information. I have a friend right now that lives about 15 min walk from the BTS that pays 6,500Baht for her studio. I'm trying to take over her lease but am unsure if it's going to be possible. I have been looking on Thaivisa.com also and have seen some for around 8k baht also. I'm looking for a studio not a 1 bedroom. But any info helps good looking out.

Thanks
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orozcom,

Pay no attention to anyone who speaks in absolutes.

Check out www.mrroomfinder.com. You can do detailed search for very specific areas within specific price ranges. I just spent 10 minutes looking there for your area and found quite a few under at 10,000 and lower.

You will probably want to spend more than 6000/mth though to get something nicer, but it can be done. You dont need at least 12,000/mth to get something decent. Besides decent is very subjective. 12,000 would usually get you something quite comfortable with good facilities. You will almost always sacrifice something to get the best locations. Smaller size, fewer facilities, price, etc.

You can also check out www.9apartment.com for cheaper options but the search function is a little harder for someone who doesn't know Bangkok. Most of the rentals on this site are between 3000-10,000/mth.

Expect to have start up costs run at least
1 months rent + deposit equal to 1 mth rent

and in many cases you will have to do
1 months rent + deposit equiv to 2 months rent.

Quote:
BKK inner city accommodation is becoming expensive

Compared to 5-10 years ago in Bangkok, YES.

Compared to almost every other major city in the world, NOPE

Quote:
mostly because landlords have become very greedy for farang money

Just ridiculous. Has very little to do with your nationality at this price range (less than 20K/mth). 80% Thais in my building all paying basically the same as me.

When you start looking at the real expat oriented housing options (30,000/mth and much much higher), you will will get inflations for some expats because most Thai landlords know that accomm is paid by the companies for major expats.
Nuolan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't search for an apartment on the Internet. 9apartment.com is okay, but the best deals aren't found on the web. Start walking! Smile
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't search for an apartment on the Internet. 9apartment.com is okay, but the best deals aren't found on the web. Start walking!

mrroomfinder is a free site for landlords to post, not an agent site. IN other words its really no different than walking in off the street, seeing an ad on the apartment bulletin board and making a phone call.

Ive found 2 places on roomfinder and both times that rent rate was fair and landlord was willing to negotiate. Another plus of is that because the ads are in English, it generally means the landlord is able to communicate relatively well in English.

If you have the time and energy to walk the streets than you will probably find something as well.

No reason you cant do both.

Speaking in absolutes is never a wise idea.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP.

Waking the streets looking for a decent furnished studio apartment is a good idea. Just make sure you read the rental contract as you will probably have to pay 3 or more months in advance rent. Also make sure you get your money back if you pay in advance as there are so many greedy landlords in BKK who would love to keep your money! I say this from experience...Good luck in your search for accomodation! Smile
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already been explained in detail:

Quote:
Expect to have start up costs run at least
1 months rent + deposit equal to 1 mth rent

and in many cases you will have to do
1 months rent + deposit equiv to 2 months rent.

Ive never heard of paying more than this (ive seen landlords who have asked though) and would not suggest anybody do so. If they are asking for more than that, smile and walk on. See above for the norm.
orozcom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Short term stay Reply with quote

Hey thank you guys so much for all of your help. I was wondering if anyone happened to know of a short term place to stay that is relatively cheap around the area. Maybe for about a week till i find a place to call home? Thanks again for all of your help.
Josef K

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuolan wrote:
Don't search for an apartment on the Internet. 9apartment.com is okay, but the best deals aren't found on the web. Start walking! Smile

555 - yeah great idea!
Walking where?
Asking whom?
Can you read "for rent" in Thai?
I actually spent a day doing this, poking my head into obscure buildings, talking to people, keeping my eyes open for signs, and leaving puddles of sweat every where I went.
Save your energy!

This is what I discovered:
1: Almost all the cheap places (where Thais live) are unfurnished with views of the brick backsides of other buildings and no ' leisure' facilities. I discovered this through a thai real estate agent who showed me a few rooms but getting my message across was hard work
2: Small one room guest houses don't offer much discount for long term stays and are often 15 minutes from a BTS. Nothing worse than starting your work day covered in a lather of sweat.
3: Walking into condo's and asking if there are vacancies doesn't work because they are individually owned and rented.
4: Talking to security guards or door men doesn't work (it does in China)
5: The only benefit to walking around is that you may find some places advertise on the side of their building and include an email/phone number. This is especially true in expat areas but they are not cheap.

If you are going to leg it then concentrate on a specific area, take your phone and about 3 litres of water.

As for the internet, try craigs list. Expats often try to help their current landlord when they vacate and you can get leads on estate agents who often have a few cheap places amongst their portfolios.
Josef K

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I am Saphorn near Saphorn Taksin BTS and pay 5500 for a small room with aircon, a double bed, desk, fridge, shower over bath and a view of the BTS line. Very basic but useful as I catch the ferry to work.
Its a good deal but the whole building is a hot house with lack of ventilation and little shade from the sun.
Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: