Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mid September - too late?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Mid September - too late? Reply with quote

I have made a late decision to go to Spain and look for teaching work this September with my partner. Ideally, we'd go at the beginning of the month but we need to give notice on our apartment. I don't think we'll make it over until around the 12th at the very earliest. Is this too late or is it OK? Obviously it's less than ideal - we need time to settle in and find somewhere to live, but we don't have much choice, really. We were planning to stay where we are but everything fell through so we've decided to take the plunge and try Spain.

Another thing - where is the best place to look for accommodation? We're looking for a shared room in a house or apt. We'd prefer to stay together as a couple but understand that a lot of people don't want to live with couples. Two separate shares would be OK. We've looked at Loquo - is there another site we've missed? Thanks for any help you can offer!
pr455

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoisinDubh,

Mid-September is fine. Just hit the pavement and send out CVs as soon as you get here.

Check out IDEALISTA for apartment rentals as well. Rental prices are going down in some areas. Check out the site for yourself to get an idea.

Cheers,

Shawn
jonniboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the 12th of September is fine, in fact it's probably the ideal time to look. I arrived on the 9th of September last year, having sent out CVs a week earlier and it wasn't until after the 20th of September that most of the offers started rolling in. What city are you going to?
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm moving to Valencia.

Another question: if I work for an academy or several academies, are they likely to give me contracts so I'm entitled to state health care or do I need to register as autonomo?
jonniboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should all give you a contract and that will include social security and hence health insurance. I wouldn't go down the autonomo route in your first year. I don't know yet if we're moving back but either way closer to the time send me a PM and I can give you an idea of what places to contact and what ones to avoid.
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh that's encouraging...people on other forums are saying I'd be unlikely to get a contract, especially if working for a few different academies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: