Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mailing things to turkey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
post_post_philosophy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: mailing things to turkey Reply with quote

Hello all.

I will be starting a job in Istanbul in September. Before this, however, I will be attending some business elsewhere in Europe and traveling by train/bus over the course of a week to Istanbul from my previous location. Because of this I will not be able to pack clothes for working (shirts, ties, pants, ect).

I would like to a relative mail some clothes and books from the States to Turkey for me. I do not yet have an address in Istanbul and the closer I get to leaving the more it looks like I will not know of my address until very close to arrival.

Is there a way I can mail things to be held to be picked up? What is the best way of doing this? Experiences/suggestions/ect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
wander&teach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that the best way to receive mail or packages in Turkey is to have them mailed directly to your employer, even after you have an official address. Be certain to have them addressed to an employee at the school that has a strong Turkish name. PTT, the Turkish Postal Service is simply awful when it comes to mailing anything into or out of the country. Parcels can take months to process and are often held up at Customs with demands for very high "release fees". If this happens you must go to Istanbul to discuss the ransom payment and retrieve your parcel. Mailing them to a known business address aliviates much scrutiny. Private shipping services like Fed Ex or UPS work much better but are extremely exspensive.
post_post_philosophy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks wander. Looks I should get a quote from UPS and Fedex and also get in touch with my employer to make sure they`ll agree to it.
wander&teach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that it is substantially cheaper and more convinient to simply purchase new items here in Turkey than paying any shipping costs. Of course there are things you will need from home (books,personal's, etc.) but clothing, personal hygiene products, medication, appliances, kitchenware, and such are insanely cheap here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: