Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any news on Libya?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Any news on Libya? Reply with quote

Has anybody heard anything about how things are in Tripoli? What would be a good salary there right now?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really want to go and work in a country run by Gaddafi's Minsiter of Justice ?
Expat101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary news coming out of Libya today:

'Ambassador and three staff killed during attack in eastern Libya city'

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/09/20129112108737726.html Shocked
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe those bozos in Paris and London will now understand that when they opened the bottle the genie got out.
sharter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Those people in Paris did the right thing....you'll see. The Libyans know what they do and don't want. Moreover, their pretty smart.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sharter,

Their what?

I know, picky, picky.

Regards,
John Very Happy
kona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Maybe those bozos in Paris and London will now understand that when they opened the bottle the genie got out.

Either that, or the fundamentalists that attacked the US embassy don't represent the majority.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/157436/snapshot-libyans-militias-disarmed-immediately.aspx
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fundamentalists have never represented the majority... no matter what country or what religion. They are just willing to kill and die for their prejudices and hatreds...

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS,

Very true, in my experience. The Fundies are also the most vocal and ruthless, so they get the most press.

About 1/3 of the US population is considered to be "evangelical," but (thank God (not all evangelicals are fundies.

Regards,
John
benhilo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Libya Reply with quote

I have been dealing with a company called Edgewater College in Libya. Has any one heard of this company? My initial contact was okay but subsequent contacts seem distorted and confusing. I did get a contract, signed it and returned it on 10/31 but have not heard anything else since. Is this normal?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing comes up on a search here. I went to their website - it seems that they are from Ireland (?), and the only TEFL job listed under the employment tab was for a position in Qatar. It seems that they are recruiting for some technical college? Very odd...

Without having any track record here, it is hard to say what is or isn't normal for them.

VS
benhilo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks V. I think it is a franchise out of Ireland but operate independent under the name Tobactus College. They claim to be in Tripoli and Misratah.
Just want others to be wary of them. The guy who does the Skype interviews is young and claims to be one of the directors. He speaks very bad English and spell even worst (bare in mind he is a director). The contract looks professional but at the end of the day, the guy is an idiot. I would send him emails asking for a status that went unanswered. The only way I caught him was when he logged in on Skype. We had a very hard time communicating. He would make appointments to contact me and not keep them. I have sent documents to him four times, then finally claims he could not open them. I finally gave up in frustration.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benhilo wrote:
I finally gave up in frustration.

I hope you completely gave up on them; their flakiness is a huge red flag. You didn't state what your qualifications and experience are, but I'm sure you can get a less-stressful teaching situation elsewhere.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread over on the Qatar board about Edgewater (erroneously called Edgeware!).

Whether this helps about the situation in Libya is questionable.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=93538
benhilo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatar school is also a franchise but has a better reputation than the one in Libya, D. They are not related. But thanks!

Nomad Soul: If I did not give up completely, I did after I read your post (make sense). Their flakiness is a good description. My experience is over 20 years teaching. I have taught in Asia and the Middle East. However, most of my teaching has been in the US at universities and colleges (teaching foreign students there). I also do private tutoring on a wide range of subjects. As a side note, I am currently being considered by 3 school, 2 in Libya and 1 in Saudia. The SA school, thanks to this site, I have turned down due to all the negative comments about them. The company was AETG. The 2 schools in Libya are Edgewater and Newcastle. Edgewater offered $20/hr where the other offers only (get ready for this)....$8/hr. I guess I will keep looking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: