Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any news on Libya?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanglish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, there's plenty of traffic and commerce and bustling in Tripoli at present. There seem to be very, very few expats and nothing in the way of expat activities.

Stores are extremely well stocked; restaurants have very little in the way of selection - the waiter will point to the 1-3 things on the menu that they actually are currently serving.

Money - British Council have been recruiting and what they offer seems to be about an average salary/benefits for a foreign teacher, perhaps slightly below average (i.e. $20/hour with no other benefits is unthinkable).

Safety - in my few months here and the very little I've seen of the country, it doesn't strike me as a particularly violent or dangerous place. Tense at times, unpredictable and unstable - yes. Violent crime, shootouts, and general animosity - no.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear spanglish,

Oh, you lyrical waxer, you Very Happy

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
(i.e. $20/hour with no other benefits is unthinkable).

He did clarify that there are benefits... housing with utilities paid, medical, sick pay, vacation, but they don't pay for your flights. Pretty paltry for most of us. But, all is relative, I guess.

VS
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I saw that afterwards. It's still well below average for a foreign teacher.
Daktari

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: VS Reply with quote

Oil production is approaching pre-war levels. My office looks as it did before the war. Oil companies have money and can get things fixed. Some companies have done better than others. I've got sat TV, internet, my own weights, a car and 2 new colleagues, one of whom I've worked with several times before (Libya, Kuwait).

The best thing about Libya is the Libs themselves. Nice, sometimes chaotic :-) people. Oh and then there's the money and the rotation, free BUPA etc etc :-)

I wouldn't want a non-rotational job here tho as I have a son and I'd miss the night life and a good steak or curry.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Going to Libya to take up an hourly-paid post where you get US$20 an hour ? Seek psychiatric advice !

Hehe.This made me laugh. Sincere thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: