Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it safe for Americans to teach in the Middle East???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Is it safe for Americans to teach in the Middle East??? Reply with quote

I wanted to ask advice about working in the Middle East. I'm going to be graduating at the end of December and I'm able to start in January. My info, in short:

- BA in Linguistics (TESOL concentration) USA University

- TESOL certificate (USA University)

- AA Degree (USA University)

- Native speaker of English (Caucasian)

- Prior experience teaching

- 40 years old, but look 30

- I don't smoke, drink or do drugs

Any suggestions or advice would be very appreciated!!!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of Americans and other nationalities---male and female---living and working in the Middle East just fine. What safety issues are you concerned about specific to Americans? Confused Also, what's your interest in teaching in this region?

By the way, you have "prior experience" teaching what exactly? Frankly, as it stands, your qualifications are quite low.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree they are low - for the oil rich countries with scads of money, but for the rest of the Middle East, they're fine.

In my neck of the Middle Eastern woods, the OP's qualifications would put him/her in line for a rather decent position.

OP, what is "safe" to one may not be "safe" to another. I think most people who live and work in the Middle East will agree with me when I say that, in spite of splashy news stories, in the vast majority of the region life goes on and it's really pretty normal, day-to-day living.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A subjective judgement. Suck it and see. If you have EFL experience then it sounds to me that you should get a job. PM me if you want an idea or two. No commission charged.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of crime/violence, Qatar is probably the safest country I've ever lived in. The main danger comes from careless, and often reckless, driving.

Saudi was very similar, but the driving was even more nuts there.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving is the main hazard in all the GCC countries. Horrific accidents statistics. Find a job where you can live on campus and walk to work ! (eg KFUPM !)
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an American national working in Oman, I can attest that not once have I ever felt threatened or in danger because of my nationality.

In fact, US passports carry more weight here than Canadian, S African, and passports from other anglophone countries. We don't pay higher visa fees for starters....
genericusername

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UAE there is no outward anti-Americanism because the multi-cultural nature of the country forces everyone to try to get along even though there is a chain of resentment and it often goes both ways, but everyone resents someone privately.

The UAE is very safe. I would not fear walking anywhere in Dubai and any time. Women, of course, should take some common sense precautions and some not-so-common sense too. Don't walk alone in secluded places: I know a Filipina woman who had her breast groped by an Indian one night as she passed him in a pedestrian tunnel in Abu Dhabi. Women should also not sit in the front seat or talk to taxi drivers because they often mistake both as a come on for sex (really).

Other than those things, I have never known anyone who suffered any street crime.
Daktari

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Number of teachers killed in the Gulf last week 0 vs number of teachers killed in Connecticut last week 6. Then there's Colombine, Virginia Tech.....erm.

When it's your time, it's your time.

You tell me where it's safer.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japan...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: