Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about BridgeTEFL Internship

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roman510

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Question about BridgeTEFL Internship Reply with quote

Hello,
A short and sweet background of myself before I get to my question:
I am 23, Male, BA in English, getting my MA in Educational Administration (Both colleges I attended/am attending are in California, yes, I know, sucks to be me). I currently have an accounting job (English major with an accounting job, go figure, right?) and make fairly good money, so I have some money saved up, which is why I am thinking about doing this program:
http://www.tefljobplacement.com/spain_internship.php

Anybody have any experience/input about this program?

I have no experience teaching (just tutoring ESL students when I was going through undergrad) which is why I am looking at an internship instead of an actual teaching gig...

Thank you much kindly in advance for your masterful advice!

Very Happy
roman510

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I'm 24 not 23 Very Happy
Shroob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt I'll be the only one to say this, but paying (over $2,500 in this case) to work is daft. Someone will be making money off you.

Spend your money on an accredited TEFL course (CELTA or CertTESOL), not the one offered by this organisation.

The only "good" thing I could say about this organisation is that as an American you may find it harder to get work in Europe. However, I still see it as a scam. Save your money.
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roman510 wrote:
lol I'm 24 not 23 Very Happy

Congratulations!

Personally, I don't deal with any companies/agencies that ask you to pay money to get a 'job'.
Grimace420

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This program sounds like a scam in many ways. What sort of visa are they able to get Americans? But even if it was completely legit:

Quote:
Overview of the Program
Interns work as English teachers onsite at various companies who are clients of our partner language institutes in Madrid.

Translation: they send you on the Metro for hours a day running around teaching in different places and exhausting you.

Quote:
Accepted applicants are guaranteed a minimum stipend of 500 Euros per month, and many are able to take on more participation as classes become available, allowing them to earn more.

These people should be rounded up and shot for exploitation. I make that teaching 5 or 6 private classes a week during a typical month in Madrid.

Quote:
This program offers students and graduates alike an amazing opportunity to gain international work experience, receive intensive training in English language teaching, and improve their Spanish skills. Applicants must be at least 20 years old, native speakers of English, and available to commit to a full academic year (September to June).

Sounds like the North American Language Assistants program, only that one pays more like 1,000 euros a month and requires you to work in one place with very easy conditions.

Quote:
Program at a Glance

Program Length 10 Months (August or September, 2012 through June, 2013)
Application Deadline April 30th, 2012
Program Fee $2,695

Shocked Jesus H. Christ.

Quote:

What's Included

� TEFL Certification (120-hour TEFLOnline.com Master Diploma)
� Internship Placement (minimum monthly stipend of 500 Euros)
� Corporate English Training Specialization Course (2 week onsite training with practicum)
� Continuous Onsite Pedagogical Mentoring Program and Logistical Support
� Visa Assistance
� Airport Pickup
� Welcome to Spain Orientation
� Pre-arranged homestay for the first 4 weeks of the program and assistance finding housing for remainder of the program
� Spanish lessons (optional) can be arranged independently
� Emergency Travel Insurance (for 12 months)

What a load of shit.
pr455

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with what others have said here on this one. Don't waste your time. Rolling Eyes

Your main goal is to get a student visa in your hand because many academies are really cracking down on hiring people without papers. If you look through my posts, I mention a TEFL course that can get Americans a student visa and that way you can work here legally.

Suerte,

Shawn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: