Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guney Education Group

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarawayNow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Guney Education Group Reply with quote

Is this a good group of schools to work for in Turkey? I did do a google search, but can't find anything but advertisements for teachers.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of them. I will say that the salary package is good even for Gaziantep, though their standards are correspondingly high. (See the Zirve thread for differences of opinion on Antep.) Of course often places here claim higher standards than they enforce, but this seems to be a recruiter with standards outlined by the public schools. Unfortunately, I don't know anything more about them than you.

Regards,
~Q
Where_you'll_find_me_now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find any information about the group either but from the interview process and email chain they seem professional. I would be more wary of negative comments but Ill take the lack of responses to be a positive. If teachers get what's been offered it looks like a good package. Maybe it would be good to ask for the email of a current employee? The website looks legitimate so I don't think its a sham. If you decide to take it, Ill be arriving in August and would love to meet anyone else in the area. Very Happy

Last edited by Where_you'll_find_me_now on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are probably offering the best EFL salary for teachers in Turkey thus they expect their teachers to be of the highest standards (QUALIFIED). I don't think they will start hiring backpackers for these positions...but one never knows...if they do expect the salary offer to be cut in half! Shocked
Yogita

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I saw their ads too the salary is good ... I applied but got no response Sad

lol
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yogita wrote:
oh I saw their ads too the salary is good ... I applied but got no response Sad

lol

Couple points:

1. Are you qualified? If you look at your ads, you'll notice that they want teachers who are qualified to teach in public schools in their own country, and clearly prefer people who are qualified to teach in British schools. A generic BA and TESOL cert won't cut it, especially if you're short on experience, and I get the impression that even North American and Australasian teachers would get their resumes sent to the bottom of the pile.

2. Do you have citizenship other than in Trinidad? (E.g. US, UK, or Canada?) Did you put Trinidadian citizenship on your resume? You know and I know that English is the official language of Trinidad, and that upper and middle class Trinidadians are usually native speakers of a variety of English that's indistinguishable from the Queen's English (at least to Americans). But most schools interested in native speakers believe that there are only seven countries in the world that produce native speakers (and Irish and South Africans are often excluded on account of their accents).

Hell, I've even met some US Americans who think Trinidad is part of "Latin America." (I'm not sure, but I think these might be the same people who said "Oh, it's a good thing you studied Arabic" when I told them I was going to Turkey.)

3. Did you proofread your resume and cover letters? With all due respect (yes, I hate that phrase but I really do mean it this time), you come across as intelligent but your posts here are riddled with punctuation, spelling, and capitalization errors, and you use "lol" a lot. Frankly I think this is the least likely explanation (I've seen native teachers with far worse written English than in your posts here get hired without trouble), but it's worth keeping in mind if you don't do it.

Regards,
~Q
Yogita

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qaaolchoura it could have been because I'm Trinidadian, or not. Of course I check for grammar, spelling & punctuation when I apply for a job. As well as marketing myself as best as possible in the cover letter. I've worked in the UK in the past & my accent was never an issue though. I do have one but it's hard to place since I grew up all over. Some Trinidadians tend to ask me where I'm from lol The school that hired me they have native speakers from all over the globe. I think that was a great initiative on their part because it's good to get the ear accustomed to many English accents. The world is closing in & becoming more cosmopolitan.

Qaaolchoura it's common to use abbreviations on forums, isn't it? It's a lingo that we all use online. I think this is the one time I don't have to politically correct with my English & grammar. Hope the Queen isn't disappointed lol Cool
Yogita

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys this is Guney's webiste > http://www.guneyegitimkurumlari.com/

if any of u do get hired please share your experiences with the school & life in Gazintep. Some of my friends in Izmir mentioned that it's a dangerous place to live. I have no idea if it's true or not as I haven't been to antep.
billy orr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people who live in izmir think living anywhere else is dangerous- gaziantep, istanbul, manisa...
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billy orr wrote:
A lot of people who live in izmir think living anywhere else is dangerous- gaziantep, istanbul, manisa...

Turks always insist that their city is the safest, best-run, and most beautiful in the country. Which means that even when I've gone to places like Alaşehir and Ankara I have to grit my teeth and tell them "Evet, �ok g�zel."

~Q
Yogita

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes that's true everything is cok guzel Mr. Green that's one of the first things I learned & understood. Funny but true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: