Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Documents - Apostille? Needed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirius black

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Documents - Apostille? Needed? Reply with quote

Do I need to have my degrees apostilled or will they verify it themselves? I don't want to go through the time and expense if I dont' have to. Also, with the criminal background checks (I'm American). Needed? And if so, apostilled? Thanks in advance for your answers.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is "they"?

You will need to get your degrees and other papers that the employer requests "certified" on your time at your expense... and no, it won't be reimbursed.

If your new employer requests a criminal background check, you will need to provide it. Personally I never did one for any of my positions in the Gulf, nor was one ever requested. (my employers were always universities/colleges)

VS
tjteachin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience I had to get my degree attested by the Omani consulate. They haven't requested a health check or police check. It's been a simple process for me.
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans don't need to get their degree/s apostilled before arrival. Bring the original degree/s with you to Oman which you will then need to get attested at the US Embassy in Muscat (no charge).

Also, no Americans I know here have needed a criminal background check.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madrileno wrote:
Americans don't need to get their degree/s apostilled before arrival. Bring the original degree/s with you to Oman which you will then need to get attested at the US Embassy in Muscat (no charge).

When did this go into effect? Everyone I know had to do it in the US... (or send their docs there to be done) even in the last couple years.

VS
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
When did this go into effect? Everyone I know had to do it in the US... even in the last couple years.

VS

I started in 2010, and have been with two different employers now (private recruiter, and the MoM).

In both cases they asked for an attested copy of my degree. All the Americans I work with now who started this semester brought their original degrees with them, and had them attested in Muscat. Some of them gave their originals to their company when they arrived in Muscat, and I believe they got all the attesting and paperwork done for them.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I just got a PM from someone who did it the "traditional" way just last year... so there seems to be some inconsistency... nothing new about that. Another woman I know who started not long ago also was required to do the rounds of DC gov/State Dept/Oman embassy same as I did back in the 80's when SQU first opened. My advice to any new employee is to check with their employer as to what they require.

In my Gulf experience in the past, the US embassy wouldn't give you the time of day... no less free degree certification. Laughing Of course, I'm not clear as to what the embassy is "attesting" under this procedure.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told to attest my Masters and certificates of experience before coming. On arrival they then demanded that the Bachelors also be attested. This involved two trips to the British Council, the first to drop it off, the second after 5 week to collect it. (19.500 OMR) Thenit was off to the British Embassy who confirmed that the BC signature was genuine (15.500 OMR) then the Oman Foreign Ofice attestation Dept. for a final stamp (5 OMR)

Now they're asking for school certifcates and for them to be attested....

Time to leave methinks, it's becoming far too bureaucratic.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is basically the procedure that was required for both of my positions in Oman in the mid 80's and late 90s. They required all documents (all education related certificates - and letters of employment) to first be "notarized copies." That required you to pay a notary... then you took the papers to your state government who had to stamp/sign/add ribbons and wax... certifying that the notary was a legal notary. Pay more fees. Then it was off to the State Department where they added a few more pages and stamps and ribbons which proved something... that your state was a state? That your college existed in some state? Pay more fees. Off to the Oman Embassy who slapped on another stamp or two and charged you a bit more. It cost me around $100 as I recall...

At the time it had to be done in your home country before you arrived. If you weren't living in your home country, you had to send it to one of those companies to do it for you at about triple the price. Fortunately I was in the DC area both times, so I did it in two half days.

As I recall, both Americans and Brits had to do it back then, so perhaps they are just starting to enforce it again?

Not to mention, as I pointed out to both of my employers, all these fancy stamps and ribbons and wax don't prove anything but the fact that I can run a copy machine. Nothing in that process even questioned whether I had actually attended the universities whose certificates I had. I could have made them on a fancy computer or paid someone at KINKOs to do them.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

Not to mention, as I pointed out to both of my employers, all these fancy stamps and ribbons and wax don't prove anything but the fact that I can run a copy machine. Nothing in that process even questioned whether I had actually attended the universities whose certificates I had. I could have made them on a fancy computer or paid someone at KINKOs to do them.

VS

Bit different in the case of the UK, if the attestation is done in the UK then the FCO check with the University that the degree is genuine and awarded to the person named on it. If done in Oman then the British Council do this by sending a copy to the University and asking them for the same check.

I agree that they do seem to be cracking down on this, my first contract was with an agent (but working in an MOHE institution) and no attestation was required but now as a direct hire......
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process did allow a number of fake certificates through the system, so there may have expanded the system with a check on the university. BUT, I can't imagine that the US embassy would take this step and consult with one of the thousands of colleges and universities in the US. Certainly not for free... Shocked Performing any procedure that involved actual work for some average US citizen without a major corporate or political connection would be unheard of...

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
BUT, I can't imagine that the US embassy would take this step and consult with one of the thousands of colleges and universities in the US. VS

This maybe explains some of the American 'teachers' I've encountered over the last three years....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first big catch with fake papers was an Egyptian science professor at SQU. Then there were quite a few with fake creds hired by the recruiters over the last few years... of various nationalities.

That said, IMHO it is the fault of the universities for being too lazy to require the simple procedure of getting a sealed transcript. It is cheap and easy in the US and guarantees that the applicant completed the degree. There are employers who do this in the Gulf. HCT in the UAE did it back in the early 90s. I signed a form, HCT mailed it to the university, the university mailed back the transcript. It cost me $5 each.

VS
(I will ignore your typical anti-American remark... Cool guess you are just lucky to come from such a small country with so few institutions of higher learning...)
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
(I will ignore your typical anti-American remark... Cool guess you are just lucky to come from such a small country with so few institutions of higher learning...)

Yes, I won the lottery of birth. There may not be that many, although it would be interesting to calculate the numbers in relation to population, but certainly enough to make sure that per capita we have won the most Nobel prizes by a long chalk!
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear MuscatGary,

So, you're from the Faroe Islands, I take it - or would it be Saint Lucia?

List of countries by Nobel laureates per capita

Faroe Islands 1 49,469 202.147
1 Saint Lucia 2 182,273 109.726

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Nobel_laureates_per_capita

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: