Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people never learn that there is a diffrent management style and a diffrent way of doing things in KSA. I worked with some of these misfits.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happened ? Are you now legal ? Or sitting in the chokey waiting to be deported ?
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nickelgoat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
tacomaboywa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Make Report to Labor Office. Reply with quote

nickelgoat wrote:
I am now hitting my 120th day without iqama. I am getting very depressed and having some serious issues about the processing of my iqama. It was very hard staying here during Ramadan and Eid with absolutely nothing to do (my last class was taught 7/24 and I won't be teaching again till 9/15) and now things are starting to look hopeless.

As I said earlier, 8/13 was my 90th day. The Saudi guy at my company who is handling this (who tells me he normally doesn't) did not even take my two passport-sized photos for the iqama until 8/12 in the evening. He also got mad at me when I challenged this and accused me of "running down Saudi culture" when all I asked him was why he made no effort to start this process in May when I arrived. He later apologized for this (believe me, this is the first time I've ever heard a Saudi male apologize for anything) but didn't offer me any kind of explanation nor the identity of who normally does this procedure at our company.

I really do like my company, and they have paid me throughout this down period. I understand that this whole mess is due to Saudization - the country wants so many Saudis employed everywhere - but was told that they made no exceptions for a company like ours, where one would expect more native English speakers to be employed and there are few Saudis that could actually teach English well. But the government has evidently charged ahead yet again with a program without thinking it through.

At my school, there are several Jordanian teachers who have waited a long time for their iqamas to be renewed. They could not go home for Ramadan. I wondered what would have happened had one of them had a parent die, or another emergency back home. Would they have been allowed to go? Would they be able to get back into Saudi? Am very worried about even being able to leave the country if I had to, not to mention anytime at all.

Could they actually hold me prisoner here for two years?

I have spoken to others who came here on other kinds of visas, promised iqamas and never got them. This was mostly EdEx and ICEAT at King Saud University. But these folks could leave if they wanted to, but I can't because as of 8/12 when the photos were picked up, I don't have my passport. But I don't want to run, I just want my iqama so that I can leave for vacation or in an emergency.

Saudization doesn't just cause problems with iqamas. These new requirements also will not let me reload my phone with time, and I am almost out. One now has to have an iqama to do this.

And if you are at an airport/train station etc. you can't just hail a taxi among those waiting, starting 10/22 you have to call for it. Another move for Saudis to own taxis vs. Asian expats.

Emotionally, I know I can't handle being essentially locked in here for two years, not having a phone that I can use. All this due to a misguided law that they think helps Saudis, but I don't think many of them have the work ethic needed to succeed if they do take over these jobs, with their sense of entitlement. And yes, many young Saudis do have a sense of entitlement.

Once again I am writing a letter to American Citizen Services asking for guidance in this matter. The biggest concern I have is that all those Jordanian teachers not getting their iqamas renewed looks bad for me having mine even issued.

I'll also discuss with my company just what they need to do so that I can have my iqama. I'd like some answers. How many Saudis do they need to hire, and in what positions?

This is agony! Maybe some think I'm crazy, since I am getting paid for sitting right now, but I'm still afraid of not even getting out when I need to, and not having a usable phone. I don't know what else I can do right now.

I've been here the whole time for Ramadan and in Saudia for 1 year 6 months now without being able to leave. So I know how you feel. However, my situation is unique and is not the norm.

The Sauidization program has changed over the years. Since almost a year ago they implemented the new Nitiqat (spelling??) system. This is where companies are placed in 4 levels (Red, Yellow, Green, & Platinum). Green and Platinum mean the company is currently employing 10-30% saudis. The percentage will depend on the type of industry the company falls under. Once the company reaches bellow the 10% (as example) they will be in the yellow. Yellow means they cannot renew or issue new Iqamas. Most educational companies are required to employ 10% Saudis.

As you probably know, KSA is famous for its corruption. It is normal here for companies to create fake contracts for Saudis (ranging from 3,000 to 4,500 SR) and only pay them a monthly fee of SR 1,000 to SR 1,500 for the use of their National ID number. These Saudis just collect the money monthly while the company puts them into the system in order to remain in the Green Level.

Your company could do this and have things back on track within a week or two depending on their current level and how many Saudis they require. PM me for any more details or other possible suggestions.

Oh, the US Embassy will not be of any help in this matter or really in any labor issues. This is from my own experience over the years. Their famous for just giving you a copy of a list of Lawyers that they can't really guarantee and saying that if you ever get put in Jail then they can at least visit. Nice, huh?

Best of luck!
fledex

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Saudification", how about "desaudification?" The country would benefit with a little filial shakeup. Twisted Evil
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nickelgoat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult situation.Patience but keep asking them to fix the problem. Do not lose your temper. That would be counter-prodcutive. Not sure that "American Citizen Services" will help.

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:19 am; edited 2 times in total
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes anyone coming over really wonder how that process works if they can't get their act together for renewals.
tacomaboywa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: As low as 5% going up to 30% Reply with quote

nickelgoat wrote:
Just 10% Saudi gets a company in the green zone? That's odd - because I know that 10% is exceeded in my company by management personnel that are Saudi. Very odd. At least the guy who is head of the company s willing to discuss the issue.

It depends on your company's designation among the different industries. Educational institutions are generally around 10%. While other are as low as 5% and as high as 30%.
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nickelgoat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
tacomaboywa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Hmmmmm Reply with quote

nickelgoat wrote:
I was just told tonight that 34% Saudi is what is needed to get our school from the yellow into the green zone with this Nitiqat thing.

34% Saudi for an English-language school seems like a VERY high figure. I was expecting 10-15%.

I just wrote a Letter to the Editor at the Arab News about the situation. I hope it gets printed. I did emphasize how I love teaching at my school but pondered if the government thought ahead about the effects it might have on expats if there is a family emergency.

Emphasis placed on the question why can we NOT be issued exit-reentry visas if they are needed? I think most people would return and honor their contracts.

And we need to recharge our phones too!

34% is very high I think. I must wonder if this is normal for English Language Schools or if it has something to do with how they set-up their company.

I will be surprised if ArabNews publishes your story. From past experience they don't seem interested in such situations.

I hope things do improve soon for you. Best of luck!
cmp45

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://saudilifestyle.com/2011/12/nitaqat-system-how-to-check-sponsor-company-category/

Found a link that helps expats know the category of their sponsor's company.

I have not tried this out, seems complicated as you also need to translate the results from Arabic to English.

take it for what its worth Rolling Eyes
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nickelgoat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next big holiday is mid-October so, deo volente, you will be able to get out for that
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NITIQAT and Quotas
It sounds sensible to check before applying but HOW ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: