Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

after 60?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davelister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: after 60? Reply with quote

I do have 20+ years before I reach 60, but I was wondering (and I do appreciate that the laws/rules change often) what happens when someone reaches the hardly old age (these days) of 60 and is (maybe) not technically young enough for a work visa? I ask this because it makes me wonder for those married to a Chinese citizen, are they booted out, saying 'see you on Skype' to a wife and maybe a (one might expect) relatively grown up kid or be required to 'export' them to the West?
qwertyu2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: after 60? Reply with quote

davelister wrote:
I do have 20+ years before I reach 60, but I was wondering (and I do appreciate that the laws/rules change often) what happens when someone reaches the hardly old age (these days) of 60 and is (maybe) not technically young enough for a work visa? I ask this because it makes me wonder for those married to a Chinese citizen, are they booted out, saying 'see you on Skype' to a wife and maybe a (one might expect) relatively grown up kid or be required to 'export' them to the West?

I don't know much about China, but I would think someone married to a Chinese national would be covered by a spousal visa, no?
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: after 60? Reply with quote

davelister wrote:
I do have 20+ years before I reach 60

Yeah...
davelister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah! Very Happy
and by-the-way thank you very much for your useful and informative replies on my other questions, mate ... if this sounds sarcastic I honestly don't mean it to sound like that
..where's the thumbs up emoticon on this site?
davelister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwertyu2

there is a spousal tourist visa for up to 6 months, as far as I know, but I don't know if it's extendable
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...just seemed worth asking. Anyway, plenty here suggest you can keep going, and experience (on my part, but not myself) suggests the same. But in 20 years, you might want to be in the new utopia...

yeah, no hints, am afraid.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the difference is in whether you are applying for a NEW job, or renewing an existing contract.
Beyond 65 though I expect even that won't save you.
As to the missus?
mwaltman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: after 60? Reply with quote

qwertyu2 wrote:
davelister wrote:

I don't know much about China, but I would think someone married to a Chinese national would be covered by a spousal visa, no?

It's always best NOT to provide input when you admit you don't know about a topic. China does not have a "spousal" or marriage or family visa for foreigners. There may soon be something called an S visa which is not the same thing. There are other visas that allow long-term stay, but are hard as hell to obtain.

Fact is, there is no such marriage related visa. So, it's best not to give input on something you know you don't know.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: after 60? Reply with quote

mwaltman wrote:

So, it's best not to give input on something you know you don't know.

What if you don't know you don't know? You might think you know but you don't know, you know?
muffintop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davelister wrote:
qwertyu2

there is a spousal tourist visa for up to 6 months, as far as I know, but I don't know if it's extendable

You can get a spousal RP. Looks the same as your work RP just the reason is different. You can't legally work under it. As you said, rules change often and somewhere in the recent rule changes this may have been boned somehow.
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us hope that in 20 years China isn't still walking backwards thinking it's healthy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruiters in London told me that after 60 you can still work if you are well-wualified with relevant experience. After 65 - no chance. Join me in retiremenet !
davelister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99291
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99331&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=nationality&start=15
on the same topic
qwertyu2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: after 60? Reply with quote

mwaltman wrote:
It's always best NOT to provide input when you admit you don't know about a topic. China does not have a "spousal" or marriage or family visa for foreigners. There may soon be something called an S visa which is not the same thing. There are other visas that allow long-term stay, but are hard as hell to obtain.

Fact is, there is no such marriage related visa. So, it's best not to give input on something you know you don't know.

If you look closely, you'll notice a question mark at the end of my sentence.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a long term L was called a family visitation visa and was given for up to a year in the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: