Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Afghanistan Pay?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanderMan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Afghanistan Pay? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how much ESL pays in Afghanistan? I have heard it is even more than Saudi Arabia.

Thx!
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is. Are you surprised ? Do some background reading and you might figure out why.
WanderMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am obviously aware that there is a war going on in Afghanistan as well as that the living conditions are much worse. I am not an idiot. My question was not "why is the pay higher in Afghanistan?" my question was "How much is the pay in Afghanistan?"

I'll choose to believe you were trying to be helpful with your response, (after all, if you were not trying to help, why would you bother to respond?) So I will ask again. Do you have any kind of specific details that might be helpful to me?

Do you know exactly how much they pay in Afghanistan?

Have you ever worked there yourself or do you know of any companies that are hiring?

Do you have any information about this subject? I am currently teaching in Saudi Arabia, but I am considering switching to Afghanistan. There seems to be very little information about teaching ESL in Afghanistan. Any first-hand knowledge you might have would be useful.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of 3 people who went to teach in Afghanistan after Saudi. All left after a short time with long lists of complaints. Pay was not much more than in a well-paid saudi job.

My advice is don't go, but i am accustomed to people ignoring my advice.

Last edited by scot47 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanderman, if you're so intent on finding out how much you're worth---what your TEFL qualifications can get you---just do an Internet search on teach english afghanistan and start applying for posted positions, if any exist. Wikipedia also has a list of universities in the country; you can contact these schools directly for possible jobs. Plus, check the Defense Language Institute's website for openings. However, those high-paying, US government-contracted TEFL jobs you heard about in the past are pretty much gone, and it seems more and more Afghans (mostly military) are being sent to the US to get their English language instruction.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Saudi I knew a few who were obsessed with getting jobs paying more than they earned in KSA. Iraq and Afghanistan were the places most discussed. Some of those infortunates made it to Baghad and others to Kabul.

None of them were actually killed but the ones I met after a contract in Iraq were in pretty poor psychological shape. How much is your sanity worth in cash terms ?
anniebelle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanderman, I taught in Iraq last year, enjoyed it very much and was extremely well-compensated. There are still some companies who hire contractors to teach in Afghanistan - Dyncorp may be one; not sure who currently has the contracts.

I should clarify "enjoyed it very much". It's not a comfortable life and it's got its obvious inherent dangers; what I enjoyed was my students. After having taught other ME students, the degree of commitment and motivation I experienced in Iraq was extremely refreshing and reminded me of how satisfying teaching English can be.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the safety side, would you be happy working as part of the Army of Occupation ? Rather like teaching German in Paris in 1944 !
Walt Kuba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: likening US presence to Nazis Reply with quote

Dear Scott:

I think youve got that backward. More like teaching English in Paris after the Allied liberation. In case youve forgotten, dear old Sadaam and his sons were the guys who fed babies to attack dogs in front of their mothers, lowered people into bathtubes filled with acid, had children's prisons, tortured and killed athletes that failed, etc. In contrast, the US brought the first free elections in generations. And women actually voting???!!!!! But I take your point. Democracy is an ugly thing. Better to have a dictator.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Walt Kuba,

�We don�t do body counts�
General Tommy Franks
Iraq Body Count
Documented civilian deaths from violence
109,115 � 119,220

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

Hard to say if Saddam and his sons could have matched or exceeded that. But I've forgotten; it's our mission to export democracy to the poor nations of the world. So, when do we invade North Korea?

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
So, when do we invade North Korea?

As soon as they hit oil...

VS
(And BTW... it IS an Army of Occupation.... and be sure to add Abu Ghraib to your little atrocity list. It may be the only one that is true in the list.)
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS,

Boy, are scot47, you, and I going to look silly when, inspired by its tremendous success in Iraq, democracy spreads throughout the whole Middle East and North Africa, as, in fact, it's has already begun to do in . . . .

Um, I'll get back to you on that.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people apparently think that countries can put on democracy like a new suit of clothes.

Regards,
John
kona

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear VS,

Boy, are scot47, you, and I going to look silly when, inspired by its tremendous success in Iraq, democracy spreads throughout the whole Middle East and North Africa, as, in fact, it's has already begun to do in . . . .

Um, I'll get back to you on that.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people apparently think that countries can put on democracy like a new suit of clothes.

Regards,
John

It's even funnier listening to people attributing the Arab Spring to the "Liberation of Iraq". I had one of those enlightened individuals tell me that the other month, but astonishingly enough he couldn't explain how he had come to that conclusion...
wavelength

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Numbers Reply with quote

I haven't seen a single number yet... how much?
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Numbers Reply with quote

wavelength wrote:
I haven't seen a single number yet... how much?

I once saw a position for about $50k a month or something ridiculous like that last year. And that was on ESL Cafe's board too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: