Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Afghanistan Pay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
spanglish wrote:

Generally speaking, I would discourage anyone from working in an unstable or conflict zone - even those who can handle it - unless your employer will not only arrange for evacuation, but also guarantee continued employment.

Not sure if TEFL offers that sort of guarantee. Embassy jobs definitely would though.

Exactly, which is why war zones are no place for a TEFL teacher! Too many desperate, naive folks willing to drastically increase their personal risk for a few extra shekels of silver. Some of the oil and defense companies seem to provide some more stability in case of evacuation and the British Council does on a (very) case-by-case basis (know what you're getting into with them).
bigdurian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
In my case, the US Embassy required me and my colleagues to each have a "to-go" tote bag with just our essential belongings. We were expected to be ready within X minutes' notice to be picked up by car and a security detail for immediate evacuation. There was always this sense of being on alert, especially when explosions and gunfire sounded quite close. Fortunately, things didn't get to the point of uber dangerous, and we were able to finish out our contracts. Welcome to the real world.

So where were you then?
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
Some of the oil and defense companies seem to provide some more stability in case of evacuation and the British Council does on a (very) case-by-case basis (know what you're getting into with them).

Not sure I'd want to work for the BC even in the most hospitable of places, let alone in a war zone.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdurian wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
In my case, the US Embassy required me and my colleagues to each have a "to-go" tote bag with just our essential belongings. We were expected to be ready within X minutes' notice to be picked up by car and a security detail for immediate evacuation. There was always this sense of being on alert, especially when explosions and gunfire sounded quite close. Fortunately, things didn't get to the point of uber dangerous, and we were able to finish out our contracts. Welcome to the real world.

So where were you then?

Or was it classified?
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
spanglish wrote:
Some of the oil and defense companies seem to provide some more stability in case of evacuation and the British Council does on a (very) case-by-case basis (know what you're getting into with them).

Not sure I'd want to work for the BC even in the most hospitable of places, let alone in a war zone.

For sure. BC branches vary wildly in terms of pay, benefits, and overall experience. In war zones and unstable situations, they do a somewhat less than fair to very-poor job of looking after things like safety and evacuation - about on par with low-ranked international NGOs.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdurian wrote:
bigdurian wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

So where were you then?

Or was it classified?

The world awaits with baited breath..........
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This job has just been posted on the TESOL job finder. Great $ but I would imagine it's a stressful environment.

(Mod edit)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously only for males... and with very specific military related teaching experience.

VS
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to be crazy to take a job in Afghanistan unless you were teaching in a US military compound solely, period, end of sentence, end of story. Look at the US State Department warning on Afghanistan. Look at the kidnappings that have taken place.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a military related job.

VS
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I submitted an application and will interview next week. I do have experience working with the military (as a civilian). Not really leaning toward the job, though the money is quite good. Living on a military base in a war zone might be too much for me.
bertonneau

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Raytheon in Afghanistan Reply with quote

A buddy of mine told me that his friends are making 145,000 a year with Raytheon. He worked there and said he loved it. Afghanis are apparently much more disciplined than lets say Saudis the average GCC national according to him. If you like a bit of chaos something to think about. If you're a typical ESL job board whiner you'll never make it though. Got to be ready to be in a scene from CNN that we see on a daily basis almost from that part of the world.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: University teachers kidnapped Reply with quote

Two employees of the university kidnapped last August.

Taliban video from January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iGdi6NMLag
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: University teachers kidnapped Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
Two employees of the university kidnapped last August.

There's already a current events thread for that topic: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=114695
bertonneau

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Seriously? Reply with quote

Of course it's stressful it's a war zone. That's why you make so much. But upon return which far more likely than not. But yes it's ESL teaching extreme. Not for the average ESL teacher. But if you can survive a few years one is well on the way to retirement as well as the later and sometimes equally lucrative opportunities with government or private sector in the future. You want safe and secure work in Thailand on the beach for 600 a month minus expenses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: