Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a degree recognized

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BruceLeeWannaBe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Getting a degree recognized Reply with quote

Don't know if anyone has had this issue before. But I'm getting a degree soon from www.usat.ms (a university in Montserrat). And I was told that since there is no provision for this service from the Government of Montserrat. USAT can't provide notarization for my degree.

I was then told that where an Apostil is requested from certain countries, I should get it legalized and authenticated in the United States through CUFCE. (California University of Foreign Credential Evaluation).

I'm uncertain if this would even work. Since the CUFCE isn't guaranteed to get it recognized. I was told that Taiwan has a specific list of Universities around the world that they recognize and mine isn't on it.

I was also told that some odd people got lucky and somehow got their degrees recognized somehow even though it's not listed on the Taiwan government list of recognized degrees.

Is there anyone who by chance used CUFCE to get their credentials legalized for use of getting the proper work visa for Taiwan?
lewis1919

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Degree recognised Reply with quote

As with most things surrounding foreign teachers in Taiwan things can vary, but from personal experience with helping new teachers get their ARCs and paperwork generally you don't actually need to have the degree recognized you just need to prove that you got the degree. As flimsy as it may sound often logging into an Alumni account on the university website is enough. From personal experience of getting documents recognized in Taiwan, you'll need to prove it's real to the trade and cultural office in the US.

The rules all sound tricky, but if someone experienced is helping you process the application then it's all very easy.
BruceLeeWannaBe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Just one thing. I live in canada and the TECO offices in Canada only offers legal authentication to degrees issued in Canada. Mine is being issued in Montserrat. They have no TECO in Montserrat. What can be done there?

You also mentioned proving it real to the TECO offices in the US. as a Canadian, could I do that since I'm not an American resident? And will the American TECO offices authenticate degrees issued outside America?
lewis1919

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Sorry, I wrote a real shitty post Reply with quote

Not sure what I was doing then or why I decided to post at all. I just posted a general answer about accrediting and it looks like I didn't bother to read your email at all.

The not getting it accredited and doing the logining on to an alumni website thing (here in Taiwan not somewhere else) works, but if they don't recognize that university then that's pointless.

Since it's a British overseas territor, MAYBE it just comes under the TECO in London. Can't you telephone your TECO in Canada and ask? If the person is unhelpful try again and get someone else on the phone, or try the UK TECO and ask about accrediting British Overseas Territory degrees.

I think it will be fine and doable and I've never seen anyone have any issues before, but I don't know about Montserrat degrees.

Sorry for what must have been a little bit of a frustrating message and thank you for being polite and patient.
KaiFeng

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first went to Taiwan, I brought official transcripts from my colleges (bachelors and masters). This was enough to get my first teaching gigs, and light-years ahead of the prep most candidates had. Note this is teaching gigs, not work-permit or ARC issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: