Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The rent is too #$@! high!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishcado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: The rent is too #$@! high! Reply with quote

Was looking through the real estate sites in Singapore and most rentals are close to 2K for a studio and around 1.5K for a room. Am I looking in the wrong areas and perhaps these sites are catered to expats who get lavish housing allowances?

Which district would you advise is semi-affordable where one could find a decently apartment? Say for example if you were to be earning 5K a month. I'm as frugal as frugal gets.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, rent here is very high.

5k is a fair wage.

As a rule of thumb, the closer to the city centre you get, the more expensive rent becomes. Many teachers share. If you want your own flat, you'll be looking at 1700 plus a month
DragonJade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going to either Malaysia or Singapore for work, and the rent in Singapore is really putting me off going there.

I was paying about SGD$950 a month for a 40m^2 flat just on the edge of Tokyo. Something similar would cost me double at least in Singapore
SiThep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Singapore developers and the government are well and truly in bed together. They have public housing for poorer voters, but the government gets nice kickbacks from developers for keeping apartment costs sky-high. It is a one-party state and collusion between government and business is the only game in town.
joecool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: High rent Reply with quote

July 2013:

My own lease is about to expire in a couple of months and my landlord is demanding a $300 increase to $2800/month (which is more realistically $3000/month if you factor in the property agent's commission which for some ridiculous reason I have to pay for).

A friend of mine in the finance line told me that property agents and landlords are desperately trying to hike up rental rates before next year because there's an expected surplus of residential projects that's scheduled to be completed next year.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: The rent is too high Reply with quote

Joecool;

You wrote:

A friend of mine in the finance line told me that property agents and landlords are desperately trying to hike up rental rates before next year because there's an expected surplus of residential projects that's scheduled to be completed next year.

I ask:- - - Why? What is going on in Singapore that would empty so many apartments? Could you please explain?

If indeed an emptying of apartments in Singapore is going to happen, the question to ask is; "How will this affect language schools and their enrollments?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: