Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexico City - Tell me about Cuajimalpa, C.P.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jserio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Mexico City - Tell me about Cuajimalpa, C.P. Reply with quote

I'm close to accepting a job at Northridge. The pay is 25,000 pesos before taxes (wish I knew what my net would be). My only concern is this school seems to be in the suburbs away from everything. Can someone give me an idea of this area and what I can expect to pay for a furnished apartment? I'd love to get a roommate - are there any good Web sites out there to find places for rent? Are there any god gyms around? Shops, restaurants within walking distance? What about public transportation and how long would it take to get to the city center? Is there a metro station nearby?
notamiss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the school on the map, and it�s located very close to the Santa Fe shopping mall (which is very big), and there�s a Sam�s Club nearby. So if you live near the school, you�ll have lots of shopping. But you don�t know yet in which direction you�ll be living: farther out in Santa Fe, or closer to the city centre. The school is close to Reforma, a major avenue with frequent buses; you�ll have no problem hopping on a bus to go into the city�with a few kilometers bus ride, you�ll be at a subway station and from there you can go anywhere.

The map also tells me there's a base de peseros nearby; a bus transfer point, which means the area is well served by public transport. Furthermore, there is a campus of the Tec nearby so I would expect plenty of entertainment venues aimed at university students.

Here�s a link to a map showing gyms https://maps.google.com.mx/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=gimnasios+santa+fe+df&fb=1&gl=mx&hq=gimnasios&hnear=0x85d201ac48275263:0x74eb214ea864a76f,Santa+Fe,+%C3%81lvaro+Obreg%C3%B3n,+Ciudad+de+M%C3%A9xico,+DF&ei=mAASUI39JJOO8wTLioGIAw&ved=0CMYBELYD, probably there are more than what it shows.
jserio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Based on what you see, do you have any good recommendations for places to live? If I'm only a few km from the city (or was that to the metro?) would it be a good idea to look for city housing? Housing near a university would be nice too, assuming there is enough activity in the area.
FreddyM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't speak from much personal experience, except for a couple of times I've gone into Santa Fe/Cuajimalpa, but it's known to be a bitch to get in and out of that area to the rest of the city, extreme traffic. I've avoided jobs in that region mostly for that reason. It's a central business district, full of big fancy buildings and skyscrapers, many corporate headquarters there. The distance may seem small on a map, but the time to get in and out of the traffic bottleneck during rush hour can be tremendous. Perhaps others with personal experience can chime in.
jserio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the map I see your point. It looks like a commercial zone with few (If any) residences. The school is only 4 years old so this is probably all they could find. This had me a little worried then. I have no desire for a long commute - especially if I have to be at school at 7am and if there is no suitable place to live nearby - with shops and cafes - then it's going to be lonely.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what others have told me, I think you'll have a hard time finding a place to live in that area...you'll have to be a little closer to town to get anything reasonable. You should be able to keep your commute down to 30-45 minutes by bus if you look in the right areas.

I too try to avoid the Santa Fe area for the distance and the traffic. I've always turned down classes there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this is not the best area for travelling, especially if you are relying on public transport, but as jobs with that kind of salary are few and far between, it's a good opportunity. I'd recommend trying to find something to rent in Avenida Constituyentes or Colonia Escand�n, which would be close, but not expensive.
With that kind of salary, I'd strongly advise you to invest in a car, unless you enjoy travelling like a pig going to market. I know the naysayers will jump on this, but I was certainly happier accepting work up that way once I'd bought a car.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also an express bus that runs from Metro Balderas and makes a number of points in Santa Fe. Not any faster than driving, but certainly less stressful. I have also turned down class in Santa Fe, it is just not worth it for a few hours work, but for a full time job you would just be commuting like a lot of other people. A car is not a bad idea if you have driven in horrible traffic in a big city where traffic lights and rules of the road are but mere suggestions. I don't find driving anywhere in Mexico City to be faster, the only time it is faster to get somewhere is when you are going waaaaaayyyyy outside of the city. I recently drove to Tepoztlan, and it took me as long to get from where I live (and I am already kind on the outskirts) to the outer ring of Mexico city, as it is did get from there to Tepoztlan (which is in Morelos state). One thing that might work is to live further out, and not closer in, to the school, driving might be a little easier that way.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have to agree that driving in Mexico has somewhat lessened the pleasure I used to get from it back in the UK, and is no faster, but I'd rather suffer the traffic jams from the comfort of my own space. I spent too many evenings travelling in the "rush hour" (haha!!!) from Santa Fe (next to Cuajimalpa) like a vertical sardine! Thank God (and the poster above! Wink ) those days are over for good, as I now work from home.

The idea of living further out is good, but further out from Cuajimalpa is getting into rural territory, and I wonder what's available for rent there? If it were possible, it'd be fantastic!

Come to think of it, living in Lerma on the edge of Toluca wouldn't be as crazy as it sounds, but a) you'd definitely need a car, and b) you'd have to pay two autopista (freeway) tolls a day.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd recommend trying to find something to rent in Avenida Constituyentes or Colonia Escand�n, which would be close, but not expensive.

Yes, good suggestions. The area around Constituyentes is called San Miguel Chaputepec. There's also San Pedro Pedro de los Pinos. All three areas are nice livable colonias with reasonable rents and not too bad a commute to Santa Fe. Advantage there is you'll also be in town, so Mexico City center, Condesa, and Chapultepec park and all the attendant museums are close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jserio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Yes, good suggestions. The area around Constituyentes is called San Miguel Chaputepec. There's also San Pedro Pedro de los Pinos. All three areas are nice livable colonias with reasonable rents and not too bad a commute to Santa Fe. Advantage there is you'll also be in town, so Mexico City center, Condesa, and Chapultepec park and all the attendant museums are close.

What kind of commute am I looking at in terms of time and number of busses? Also, any idea what the rent would be in that area?
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live in Escand�n, but in my own place. I believe rents in that area are around $5000-6000 MXN furnished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: