Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions I haven't found info to

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
travelinhobo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Questions I haven't found info to Reply with quote

I'm an ESL teacher with more than 10 years experience (much of it one-on-one) and a TEFL cert. I don't have a degree and have read all the updates here regarding the laws on teaching in a language school, so don't need info on that.

I've read through many of the posts here, as well as looked at other sites about teaching ESL in Indonesia. So the following questions are from a lack of info to be found...

If I go to Indonesia to teach, I'd be interested in Surabaya, Bandung, Medan mostly. Not really interested in Jakarta as I've done the over-sized metro city thing before (Mexico City).

I'm most concerned about transportation - there seems to be minimal mentioned about this on sites. How do most locals get around? Motorbike, bicycles, cars, or the minibuses? Is the system/routes of the minibuses more than decent? What are their running times usually and start/end times of the day? In these smaller cities, is it still dangerous to ride a motorbike?

How often do the language schools pay? Once, twice a month or weekly?

What are the ages which most language schools cater to? Babies (under 6), kids, teens, adults/uni students, working adults? Are teachers given any options as to who they teach?

Are the Indonesians interested in learning English, or is it more forced?

What are the most common ESL books used in the classroom?

How easy is it to find a clean, furnished place to live which has a kitchen? Obviously Jakarta has every kind of option - what about these other cities? Do you have to sign a lease when you rent? How much of a deposit is usually req'd? I'm a simple person who would only be interested in a furnished apt/studio, no housekeeper. Must have a kitchen. (And are Indonesians like most of the world where they only use the top part of the stove - not the oven?)

I'm here in Vietnam, so if anyone has any comparisons, feel free to throw it in. If you have any sites that can help me, also throw 'em in. THanks!
chezal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do most locals get around? Motorbike, bicycles, cars, or the minibuses? Is the system/routes of the minibuses more than decent? What are their running times usually and start/end times of the day? In these smaller cities, is it still dangerous to ride a motorbike?

Depends how much money they have. The well off use cars. The masses use motorbikes or Angkot/Bemo's (minibus). I can only answer for Medan the routes are well supplied by buses. Though there are no time tables or stops (you can pick them up anywhere along the route). You'll need someone to guide you as to what number buses go where as there isn't a route map/I've never seen one. They go all over the city and beyond but having at least a little bit of Indonesian will help you. They start early morning around 6am but as I said there are no official times. The drivers start and finish when they want/have made enough money. I believe one trip is still 2,500rp (may have gone up).

Another way to get around in Medan is to use a becak (motorcycle taxi with a side cart). They are absolutely everywhere though you need to be prepared to bargain. Many people will find a regular driver to take them to and from work. In other cities there are ojek's (motorcycle taxi's) who perform the same job as the becak's.

On motorbikes I used to drive one in Medan and other smaller cities in Sumatra. The roads aren't as packed though the locals drive all over the place. You just get used to it. I wouldn't recommend driving a motorbike if you haven't before. Cities aren't the best place to learn.

How often do the language schools pay? Once, twice a month or weekly?

Most pay monthly.

What are the ages which most language schools cater to? Babies (under 6), kids, teens, adults/uni students, working adults? Are teachers given any options as to who they teach?

Really depend on the school. The biggest market in Indonesia is children and teens that's where schools make their money. Lots of schools also run adult classes as well (older teenagers upwards), TOEFL/IELTS and business English classes. So it can be quite a mixed bag.

Are the Indonesians interested in learning English, or is it more forced?
Depends on the class and age group. You'll find a lot of the children/teens are made to attend class. While for adults they are mostly there by choice except maybe the Business English students. If it's a business English class for a company you can expect attendance to get less and less as the course goes on unless it's within their working hours.

What are the most common ESL books used in the classroom?

Cutting Edge and Headway are common. Some schools like EF have their own textbooks.

How easy is it to find a clean, furnished place to live which has a kitchen? Obviously Jakarta has every kind of option - what about these other cities? Do you have to sign a lease when you rent? How much of a deposit is usually req'd? I'm a simple person who would only be interested in a furnished apt/studio, no housekeeper. Must have a kitchen. (And are Indonesians like most of the world where they only use the top part of the stove - not the oven?)

Outside of Jakarta you won't really find studio's/apartments. There are kost's (rooms in a house) to rent which come furnished. Or you are more likely to live in a house either in or out of a complex. In Medan you'll need to have someone helping you on the ground to find a place as they aren't advertised in one place. There are furnished places but you'll have to hunt a bit more. Most places are unfurnished.

Deposit most places in Indonesia expect you to pay the year's rent up front. Though some Kost's will allow you to pay monthly but it will be slightly more expensive.

On the kitchen you are very unlikely to have an oven only a 2 ring cooker.

A good place to find more detailed answers to your questions is on the expat forum. livinginindonesiaforum.org[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: