Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed - International School or Uni?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Advice needed - International School or Uni? Reply with quote

Hey guys I am in the process of getting my Math 6-12 teaching license this year and next year I plan on getting a MA TESOL (while im teaching in Korea)

I am looking to grind out a year or two in the Gulf to save up some cash.

Which route will be better financially?

Getting an International teaching job or getting a Uni job?

All advice welcomed!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're talking post-MA, but if not, what is your undergrad degree in? Also, what's your specific teaching experience?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of 1-2 years teaching esl in Korea at a hagwon I wont have much experience.

I will be getting my teaching license and MA TESOL in the next 2 years.

Essentially will be a newb in each sector.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your qualifications are minimal for university-level TEFL jobs, particularly since Mid East most employers focus on post-MA experience. However, you might want to look at teachaway.com to get an idea of the general requirements for international schools in the region.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many employers are wary of those with Korean "experience". I know of two in KSA that will NOT employ those who have worked in korea.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Your qualifications are minimal for university-level TEFL jobs, particularly since Mid East most employers focus on post-MA experience. However, you might want to look at teachaway.com to get an idea of the general requirements for international schools in the region.

International Schools all have the same general requirements. With the main requirement being a licensed teacher from your home country. Most schools claim a 2 year experience requirement but many a people have obtained jobs without it, esp those with in high needs areas (math & science).

I assume the Uni scene is the same. Main basic requirement is a MA, with the claimed 2 year post MA experience. But just like with International Schools, it is still possible to land a job without it.

So what I am getting at is assuming I can land either job right away which one generally speaking would be better financially? Newbie International School teacher or newbie Uni teacher.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Internationalist wrote:
So what I am getting at is assuming I can land either job right away which one generally speaking would be better financially? Newbie International School teacher or newbie Uni teacher.

I need to clarify my previous post. In general, a related BA (you didn't state what yours is in) + CELTA/equivalent, onsite TEFL cert + several years of TEFL experience could get you a university teaching gig at the low end of the spectrum. For Saudi Arabia, that usually means working for a dodgy contractor. A related MA (preferably completed on campus) increases your chances for a direct-hire TEFL university job, but employers want to see post-MA teaching experience. (And many are picky about that experience, as Scot47 mentioned.) As for international schools, you'll need to see what their specific requirements are.

So should you apply anyway? Sure, but definitely research each employer to see which are legit versus those that are sketchy.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am gonna apply to all positions and will have to take the best I get.

What I am asking is generally speaking which position would likely pay more for someone in my situation ie which one should be plan A and which should be plan B.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries vary widely based on qualifications and who the employer is, although some job ads may indicate a pay range. You'll have to apply to see what you're worth, and that's only if employers consider you're qualified enough to extend an offer.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking in large generalities, average university pay is higher than average International Schools. This is because "international school" is the most variable with salaries from laughably low to the schools where the embassy kids go which pays as much or better than the best university jobs. BUT... these positions require better CVs than average.

You would be looking at more entry level jobs in either market. All you can do is toss out as many CVs as possible... be sure to target your format to your market. University EFL departments will not be impressed by your elementary school teaching in Korea or wherever.

You've got a year or two to watch and read the ads and see how you can sell yourself to these employers.

Good Luck... and it is good to see a teacher who wants to go to the time and effort to get all the credentials that s/he can. If you are doing an online MA, be sure to check out the credentials of the university and see if it is acceptable to overseas employers.

VS
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the info I was looking for.

Thnx.

So entry Universities "generally" speaking pay more than entry International Schools.

I kind if figured that but wanted to make sure.

I will essentially be applying for each sector as a newb with no experience. With the basic teaching license & MA TESOL.

Guess I will just fire off as many CV's and take the best offer.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other little piece of advice... don't apply until you actually officially have all of the bits. Most employers will tend to bin applications that say that an MA or a CERT will be completed by X. Too many people don't complete... so it is easier for them to avoid those kinds of problems by only taking completed degrees.

It would also be helpful if you could pick up more related teaching while you are working on the MA... teaching Academic English... teaching writing and reading.

One catch for you at university level is that the better employers will require experience post MA. (but needs sometimes trump wants) I can't speak about International Schools experience requirements since I never dealt with those levels...

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internationalist:
You mention savings. I'm curious as to what salary (range) you hope to get?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent looked at any salary figures for the region but I would expect something in the range of 40-60K.
helenl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 to 60k what? USD GBP AUD AED QAR SAR ...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: