Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eastern European Job Search Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leftx47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Eastern European Job Search Advice Reply with quote

Hello, I'm currently teaching ESL in Asia and thinking of relocating to Central/Eastern Europe. (Yes I've already read the Asia/Europe comparisons and warnings Smile. )

Most of the job seeking advice for that region seems to be "take a CELTA course near your target city and use those contacts to look for a job." My problem is I already have a CELTA. Does anyone have any suggestions for making contacts/finding leads in the region outside of a CELTA course? I have no problem coming to the area and pounding the pavement with my 90-day tourist visa, but would like a better plan than just wandering the city looking for ESL outfits.

Thanks.
oipivo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

In Europe, you pretty much have to rely on yourself. Yes, it is certainly easier to get things done if you have some contacts, but like you said, just show up and send out those CVs. You can find some contacts on here that could help you out or there are other good sites to check out for some information (I'll PM you those). Did you have any countries in mind?
leftx47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just starting to look into the situation with an eye on possibly relocating this time next year. With that in mind, I haven't narrowed down the countries too much. I've been to several countries in the region and enjoyed them all.

I'm leaning towards Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, maybe even Russia (although it's been 20 years since the last time I was there Smile), because I'd like the chance to learn a Slavic language when I'm not teaching.

I don't have anything against the southern Slavic countries either, but I haven't spent as much time in them. Plus, I feel like I need to narrow things down regionally if I'm going to have to go from city to city looking for openings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: