Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laughable article about salaries in EL Gazette
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bore you to death with my anecdotes.

Incidentally savings such as those mentioned by the beplumed psittacoid are feasible for DINKOPs but not by normal people

(DINKOP = Dounle Income No Kids On Principle, a close relative of the Afrikaans DIMKOP)
Mr. Bourenmouth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Laughable article about salaries in EL Gazette Reply with quote

I agree with the OP, while there are still quite a few well-paid jobs in EAP with reputable colleges and universities, it won�t be long before the ELT charlatains move in, especially since the independent language school business is being so squeezed by better EFL education around the world, and global recession (there is very little reason to spend a ton of money studying in a language school in Eastbourne any more, unless you have money to burn).

The charlatains will see, as the OP mentioned, plenty of opportunity for a middle-man if teachers are being paid 35 pounds an hour (20 for me, 15 for the teacher) and slowly they will creep in on the one way a decent teacher can make a living in their own country. It is already beginning to happen.

It is a wonderful job, teaching English. It really is, but the contempt our own industry has for us is palpable. Non teachers don�t actually believe we achieve anything in the classroom, so as a result they don�t see the need to pay us more than the bare minimum. This won�t change. There has been a small beacon of hope in the EAP field, since you actually get to work for a REAL educational institution, but as mentioned, the creeps will soon get their grubby paws on that and carve out sections for themselves as middle men.

*beep* this industry man.
Mr. Bourenmouth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Laughable article about salaries in EL Gazette Reply with quote

*sorry*

Last edited by Mr. Bourenmouth on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Bourenmouth

*sorry*

Last edited by Mr. Bourenmouth on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Bourenmouth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sorry*

Last edited by Mr. Bourenmouth on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains why I spend my latter years on direct hire in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Reasonabel income and no middle-man skimming off the fruits of my labour.
Mr. Bourenmouth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
That explains why I spend my latter years on direct hire in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Reasonabel income and no middle-man skimming off the fruits of my labour.

Yah, me too. Fruitless, cynical work it is though. Just passing the day entertaining young men, waiting to get paid.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what your alternatives are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: