Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

alien worker medical check - what does it consist of?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
softwind

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: alien worker medical check - what does it consist of? Reply with quote

I'm huge into metal music and have some metal-related tattoos on the torso. They are unlikely to offend anyone, but they are 'death' themed and therefore might not agree so well with Taiwanese officials, given as I would likely be teaching mostly young kids. I'm a pretty good teacher with experience and am planning to travel to Taipei in early August to interview with a variety of schools.

Of course there's no reason a school would need to know about this, as the artwork is not visible under a shirt. But I wonder, would the medical check involve inspection of the torso (abdomen, back, chest)?

A chest X-ray for TB requires that nothing more than a plain cloth cover the upper body, but wearing a simple undershirt should eliminate the need to disrobe.

Would any other procedure during the exam require removing one's shirt?
lewis1919

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Medical check-up Reply with quote

The check up varies by time and place, although you shouldn't have to remove your shirt and if you did it shouldn't be a problem. The health check is largely an inconvenience more than something useful for anyone. If you have measle vaccination certificates, take them with you or pay extra an waste more time.
atreyue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey softwind

The only time you'd have to disrobe (taking off your shirt) is for the chest xray. And even that, if you do your health check in a city hospital, will be covered by an unflattering, long green smock that will extend to your knees.

Now, if you're going to stay for your APRC they will do a skin test and that's all clothes off - head to toe - checking for sores.

Hope this helps.
ickle_moose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an APRC and never had a skin check.....

Anyway loads of Taiwanese guys have tattoos with all kinds of themes. The school I worked for just asked us that if we did have tattoos to try to keep them covered, but they weren't too bothered about it. It certainly isn't going to keep you from passing your medical check. They didn't bat an eye at my tongue piercing so I'm sure you'll be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: