Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flying from UK to Mexico via USA - transit issues...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceTone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: flying from UK to Mexico via USA - transit issues... Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone who has travelled from the UK to Mexico via the US shed some light on something....

My plan was to take an indirect flight to DF with a stopover in the US (airport only). As a UK citizen I should be eligible to transit under the US Visa Waiver Program, but from what I've read this doesn't seem possible when going on to Mexico.

According to a US gov website regarding the VWP: "Travelers with onward tickets terminating in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean Islands must be legal permanent residents of these areas."

Elsewhere I read: "You cannot use the Visa Waiver Program if you intend to remain more than 90 days in "North America" (which includes the U.S. and Mexico)"

It seems pretty black and white (and ridiculous) but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Usually I'd fly via Madrid or Paris but it's much cheaper to go via the US on my preferred dates

Cheers
etoile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spacetone,

I'm travelling to Mexico tomorrow from Ireland with a stop in the US. I applied for the VWP through their website https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ . They do ask for a US address but I was advised to just write "in transit Mexico"

Quote:
According to a US gov website regarding the VWP: "Travelers with onward tickets terminating in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean Islands must be legal permanent residents of these areas."

Can you post a link to the website where you got the above information?

Quote:

Elsewhere I read: "You cannot use the Visa Waiver Program if you intend to remain more than 90 days in "North America" (which includes the U.S. and Mexico)"

The visa waiver program is for the Unites States only so the above doesn't really make sense.
SpaceTone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://london.usembassy.gov/vwp3.html
http://www.myvisaadviser.co.uk/about_visas_usa_visa.htm
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2225102

I agree that it makes no sense (maybe I'm reading it wrong or missing something?)
I hope it all goes smoothly for you anyway
Could you let me know how you got on?
Cheers, and good luck
ST
etoile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spacetone,

I'm glad I didn't see your post til now because if I had of read those websites the day before leaving I would've been in a sweat!

Anyway all I can tell you is that I had absolutely no problems with US immigration. Maybe you should contact the embassy and double check with them? If I had no problems I can't see why it shouldn't be the same for you.
SpaceTone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great!
Very strange though, the rule seems pretty clear from the embassy website... but maybe they don't apply it. I can't see why they would care where you go once you're off US soil
Anyway thanks for posting and I'm glad you got there smoothly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: